Chapter Eight: I Become a Yoga Instructor

Start from the beginning

"Oh," she furrowed her eyebrows together, "Then how come you're here? Not that I mind, of course. We haven't had visitors since... I don't even remember." She smiled at us.

"Actually, I've been given the project of redesigning the buildings on Olympus. I came here to look at the architecture, but I wouldn't mind visiting with a few patients if you're okay with it."

"Oh my, you're redesigning Olympus? What an honor to meet you! I'm sure the patients would love to see you. I'm Eunomia, by the way, though I doubt you've heard of me. I'm just a minor goddess."

"Actually, I have heard of you!" Annabeth assured her.

"Really?" Her eyes lit up.

"Yes. You're the goddess of law and legislation, one of the three Horae."

"That's me," Eunomia agreed, her chest puffing out proudly.

"I was wondering if your sister Eirene was here, actually," Annabeth finally asked. Eunomia's eyes darkened.

"Oh, she's here all right. She's the whole reason this place was founded. She's the goddess of peace, after all, and mortals, gods, monsters, you name it, nobody likes peace. Not a second can go by without someone, somewhere having a fight. Eventually, chaos beat poor Eirene, and she doesn't have much sense left in her now. She still has her powers, but she can hardly use for anything. Dike, my other sister, is here, too. She's the goddess of justice, if you didn't know. She's nowhere near as bad as Eirene, but she feels that she isn't needed in the world. See, us Horae are more like personifications than actual goddesses. We can't actually make the world have peace, or justice, or laws. Sure, we have some powers, but we can't control human nature. We're just there to represent our concept, to promote it. And we're greatly affected by human civilization. As time went on, and people kept developing more and more ways to kill each other, harm each other, fight each other, Eirene began to loose herself. People still want justice today, but criminals aren't punished as much as they used to be. But humans worship laws these days, and that keeps me perfectly sane."

They all sat there in silence for a moment, letting Eunomia's words sink in. Finally though, Annabeth said, "Do you think we could see her?"

"Of course. The little sane part of her that's left worships heroes who fight for peace, and being demigods of major gods, I'm sure you have."

Annabeth realized the oxymoron of fighting for peace, but she kept it to herself. She understood what Eunomia meant.

"Follow me," Eunomia instructed them. "Don't make any loud, sudden noises or movements, as you might startle the patients. Try not to mention their duties as gods or goddesses, as that just lowers their self esteem." She told them, her personality as goddess of law seeming to kick in. She knocked on a white door just a little ways down the hall. "Eirene? Can I come in?"

"Eunomia?" A voice said from inside the room. The voice didn't sound insane at all. It sounded wise, old and powerful.

"Yes, it's me. I've got some visitors for you."

"Not Dike again."

"No, I've got some young demigods for you. Some heroes."

"Bring them in."

Eunomia pressed her hand against the door and it swung open to reveal a room full of, again, all white things. It didn't look like how you'd picture a retirement home/asylum though. There was a white, king sized bed in the center with an ornate quilt and fluffy pillows. There was a comfortable-looking white couch off to the left side, and a dresser and vanity table to the right. Sitting on the couch was a beautiful woman who was staring into space at nothing in particular.