† SEVEN †

MY KNEES CRACK AS I stand again, my fiancé's jacket pocket heavy with the small Bible Markus had lent to me for the time being

MY KNEES CRACK AS I stand again, my fiancé's jacket pocket heavy with the small Bible Markus had lent to me for the time being. In my peripheral vision, I see all eyes on me, cautiously watching my every move as the tension crackles at a rapid increase between the bloodstained walls. The vampires wandering in the center hiss at me as my heart pounds in my chest, ready to rip through the bone and skin holding its hyperactiveness captive. Modes drift before my eyes as my breathing becomes much of a trouble, thickening like a large mass of spider webs as each intake tangles between my ribcage. Cold fear trickles down my veins as I stare the unholy creatures in the eyes. They cannot defeat me; I won't let them. God willing.

"Sit down, pitiful human, and say your prayers. It might just be your last," the woman who had crushed my airways hisses while a smirk stretches her paper-thin skin. Her features are sunken in-probably from lack of blood-but I can see where the deception of her gorgeous face would have been, below the black branch-like veins raised off her skull, stretching her skin outward, and darkening the caverns beneath her murky red eyes. My hands tremble at the sight of her, at my attention to detail. I clench them into fists.

"Would you like me to pray for you first, then?" I ask, my voice cracking betwixt the syllables. I try to sound nice; it just doesn't come out that way.

She utters a questionable sound my way. I press on.

"It feels rude to say it, but I think you need all the prayers you can get. You all do."

"What are you doing?"

I snap my head to the right, where the voice had come from. A girl, seeming older than I am, stares at me with wide, reddened, sleepless eyes, her body caked in and tinted with dried blood.

"Stop egging them on!" she pleads.

For a moment, I wonder if she's right. But in my heart, I know she isn't. This is something I need to do-I've hardly stood up for anything my entire life. I've hardly stood up for God my entire life. All the arguments and scriptures I've had aloud all came out as hot frustrations as I tried to understand the world I was no longer connected to due to my faith. They'd either be in my writings or in my music or with, and at, my now fiancé, Tobias. I can't always be so passive. Especially now. I've got to let this anger, this fighting for God's side fuel me, and let God do the talking. I've got to be angry for what God would be angry towards. And although revenge isn't in my vocabulary (well, it's just not something I do), I know that revenge is God's, and I shouldn't take it into my own hands. The best thing I could ever do is pray for them and stand up for what I believe, for what is right, even if my life is on the line.

I shake my head slowly and turn my attention back to the hoard of vampires, who have crept closer in my distraction. I shake my head again, false confidence slipping into my veins as my body begins to quiver.