† FIVE †

I ALWAYS HAD THE feeling I'd die in a car crash

Okay, maybe not always. But definitely since everyone thought the world was going to end. I kept thinking to myself, what if the world really did end today? Where would I go? Would I be right with God? And then, because I know that Jesus will return when everyone's least expecting it, I reminded myself the world wasn't going to end on the set time these 'scientists' predicted. Scientists lie, I know that much. Not all of them, but sometimes they do, and it's those lies that get leaked into our brains and force-fed to us as if we were unable to think for ourselves.

That rant shall come at another time.

But I never thought I'd die at the hands of a vampire, not even close.

Oh, no, I'm not dead yet, but as I stare upon the glowing red eyes drifting around the dark room, it feels as if death draws nearer and I can feel its breath on the axis of my spinal chord, weaving its icy fingers past my muscles and gripping my lungs. No, death hasn't taken me yet, and by the grace of God, hopefully I can see this through.

The vampires move side to side like snakes, their glowing eyes trained on me in the darkness pounding against my skin. I sit, frozen with my hands behind me, holding my torso up from the ground.

"It's a test of your faith!" I hear a voice call.

My eyes instinctively dart to where the sound came from, focusing on a dark figure for a moment before I glance back at the vampires.

"Don't lose your faith!" Another voice cheers.

The vampires seem to grow irritable at this, letting out low hisses. As they move, metallic clanging echoes through the room. Are they tied up too?

"Run!"

The vampires turn to this word, snarling as they smile. Suddenly a hoard of them lunge to their screaming victim, the shout gurgling out as they seem to ease up and move to the back of the room. My breath finds me and my chest expands and contracts rapidly as a cool hand grabs my forearm.

I jump, holding in a cry as the body belonging to the hand comes somewhat into view. The voice shushes me.

"It's okay. I'm human. Come over here, the lights should be coming on soon."

"I'm--I'm gonna stay right here," I gulp, not being able to see anything. There's not even something to see the floors! How am I supposed to survive in a place I can't even see-I have a problem when I can't see, and I know I've stressed that before with the lights after the woman appeared in my room.

Maybe I'm not supposed to survive, I tell myself, rolling my eyes at the stupidity of this reminder. Of course they don't. But why did they lock me in a room? Are these other Christians?

"Please come over here with me--"

"But I can't see anything," I breathe, once again stating the obvious. Only this time it was out loud and not in my head.