† TWO †

THE NIGHT EBBS ON, my heart marking the seconds ticking by

THE NIGHT EBBS ON, my heart marking the seconds ticking by. My window is now shut tight, probably never to be opened again. At least while I'm inside this house. Or any house. I'm pondering if there are any houses available that just don't have any windows at all...

There's a sound of something shifting in my room and I whirl around to find its source, only to see my kitten stretching, deep in sleep. I don't know if I'm jealous of his slumber or grateful I awoke. How did that woman find me? Could this all possibly be a dream?

Emotions rage inside me, something like a world war twisting inside my stomach and poking holes in my lungs. I can't pick apart reality from fantasy--does this mean insanity isn't far from my reach?

I walk over to my cat, Bo, with extremely wobbly legs, and squat down, my knees cracking over the sound of my noise machine. I can't sleep in silence; my brain keeps me up with ideas and questions and hypotheses. I use it for distraction.

But tonight, I need something more than a distraction.

He wakes with a sound resembling a pigeon, cracking his eyes open and stretching again. He begins to purr as my adrenaline starts to cease. The little rascal put me out fifty bucks just so I could take him home, and at the time we thought he was a she. His name had been Bella, and, one day--I'll skip the story for your sake--I found out he was no Bella. And recently, Stephanie Meyer had come out with a gender-bender book of Twilight, where Bella became Beaux. So, as the twi-hard fan I used to be when I was, like, twelve, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to have a cat with a name from a book. As for the spelling, I wanted it to be different (as if the name isn't different enough, especially for a cat).

I let my mind wander about my kitten for a little while longer before slowly checking my closets for any signs of her goons, or the man who had been locked up in the woman's bathroom. I find nothing, but it still doesn't ease my mind or quiet the rapid pace of my poor heart. Not that there's anything wrong with it, it's just... you know. The woman.

I sit on my bed and run my fingers through my thin ash-blonde hair, trying to make sense of it all, my face chilled with smashed tears. Could it be possible, all the myths I grew up with, all of the stories I heard, even the book I would read for my online college class--could it all be true? Could she be a...?

I shake my head, almost laughing at myself, when I stop suddenly, three raps on my window with--I hope not--knuckles. My stomach leaps into my throat and I stare at the hot pink curtains hanging before my window and hiding my room from sight. My body begins to tingle and black appears around my vision as I realize I need to keep breathing to stay conscious.

Knock, knock, knock.

There it is again! Holy crud, holy crud, holy crud...

I stand up slowly and back up to my door, touching it with my fingers and wrapping them around the cool metal before another set of knocks sound. I hold in a squeal as I fling open my door and run out, banging on my parent's door.