† FOUR †

THREE DAYS

THREE DAYS. THATS HOW long I've been pent up inside this insane asylum. I'm dying.

Not literally. Okay, possibly literally. I'm so hungry and all they feed me is scraps. This is the only time I've ever regretted liking to eat food, unlike several girls I know or read about or whatever. I don't know why they're even bothering keeping me here, what do they think I'm going to do, tell the world vampire's are real? Heck no. I'd be locked up in a room exactly like this one and the white walls are leaving a permanent dent in my skull because of this headache.

I exhale slowly, wrapping myself in my fiancé's jacket. The marquise-cut diamond fits perfectly between my lips as I keep my mind busy and hold the fits of tears at bay. I've cried myself to insomniactic sleep each night now on this cold floor, uncertain of my fate. Tonight I wanted it to be different, what ever the word would hold. I almost feel challenged in here, like it's a puzzle I just need to figure out so I can escape. They want me to waver in my faith, but why? So they can drink my blood? The man that had tried it was fully a vampire and still had blood inside of him. He'd said he lost faith, but what's the option if, and I'm not saying I will, if I lose it too? What happened to him when he lost it?

A shudder passes through my body and a knot forms in my scratchy throat.

"I wish you were here, Guy," I say aloud, glancing over at his ashes. I've found myself talking to them a few times throughout the day as if he was still alive and in this room. And not trying to suck me dry. "I know you'd have the answers I'm looking for."

I close my eyes as I rest my head against the bare wall. The room feels so utterly big and spacious-not in a good way. The tickings of the pocket watch are like sharp blows to my head, making me somewhat irritable.

I want so bad to have at least my phone. If not for calling someone to help me, to find me, wherever I am, then to at least play a game or something, maybe check Facebook. Probably not though. I'd most likely type away in my notes as fast as I could before I got carpal tunnel. Once that happened, it'd lead to me talking to Siri. Now, if it had everlasting battery power, I'd-

The door swings open. I jump up, my train of thought miles away from grasping it again. I'd probably have this conversation with myself soon enough.

"Kyla Vonemben." I jump at the echoing voice. It's coming from somewhere in this room. I just can't pinpoint where-it sounds like an intercom though, like the ones in school. Or maybe a megaphone. Or, well, someone talking through a megaphone. "It's time to test your faith."

"What?" I cry to the ceiling.

Snarling comes from the hall just outside the door. My heartbeat increases once again. Has my faith in God changed? Have I grown distant? I know I've talked to him, prayed to him, hoping he'll get me out of this... whatever it is.

It's a woman this time that walks into the doorway. Her freakishly pale skin clings to her like wet clothes and her eyes glow red.

"If Richardson gave you one step closer to the Blood Room, then I'll give you one step back."