† SIX †

I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN obsessed with dystopian societies

I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN obsessed with dystopian societies. The ones where the government takes over and uses people as pawns in their sick and twisted games (no pun intended), et cetera. But it was one thing when you read about them, all the killings, the transformation, the mind-wiping, and such and such; it's another when you're actually a part of one.

Now. Vampires, dystopias, God, how does it all play out and fit together? Like gloves. Actually, it's a good question. And before continuing with Markus's four words and my head plopping onto my palms as my blood turned cold and my stomach churned with acid, making my throat sting, I'd like to point out the downfall of this world and its morals. Take a good, long, boring look at the world around you without the taintedness it's given you over the past years. What do you see?

Continue with my crestfallenness.

I pull my knees close to my chest, feeling more or less naked and wishing I was in a dream. After all, my nightmares and nighttime manifestations blossoming from my creative mind are extremely vivid and, yet, sometimes actually make sense. To me anyway. But vampires... real? How could they be of flesh and blood when they're only made from ink on pages and words from legend's mouth? How is this possible?

"What do they want?" I whisper, unable to find my voice. It must be trapped between my taught vocal chords.

Markus places a hand on my shoulder, from which I shrink away from. Never have I been a big 'toucher'; I don't like physical contact unless I invite it. Even when I act on stage, I can't help but keep my hands at least an inch from the other actor on stage and if I do touch them, it's only for a brief moment.

Markus glances at me puzzledly for a moment, but I ignore politeness and the sorry I wanted to say to him. Closing myself off might not be the best option here, but it's the only one I can think of that will keep me safe in the mean time. If only I could explain without the dangerous distraction lurking not far from me in the center of the room.

"Vampires want control. Freedom without a price. The price they pay is heavy and the burden they carry is even loftier. They are shut off from heaven, most of them unable to accept there is one waiting once our last breaths are taken, live off human blood, only that blood is the essence of their demise. But never consume the blood, for the blood is the life, and you must not consume the lifeblood with the meat. The scriptures say just that in Deuteronomy 12:23. And although they aren't eating the meat, the blood remains. The life is in the blood. Jesus shed his blood for our sins, giving us eternal life. The Holy Spirit is within us, as we are the vessel for God's good works as we are promised eternal life in heaven. We are protected by the life and resurrection of Jesus Christ, our Savior, and these creatures cannot take that from us. Only we, as humans, can step out from under His protection."

His eyes are lit up, excitement coursing in the brightness of his eyes. "But the vampires want a way around that. They don't want to be limited, they want to be unstoppable. So don't doubt for one second He has left you and you are unsafe. ...If you had faith even as small as a mustard seed, you could say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it would move. God can do anything, he can even pry you from the clutches of the devil's works if you only have faith."

I nod, a knot forming in my throat. I understand it all, I've always understood the Bible and its teachings without much difficulty, but I never really memorized quotes aside from a few. How can I keep the faith when I haven't even equipped myself with the Word itself, like Markus has?

My eyes snap up as a snarl rumbles to my ears. A girl begins to creep closer to me. My heart trembles and my breathing shudders as it slips past my chapped lips. I'd slipped a little, worrying about my strength as a follower of God.

An idea slips into my thoughts. Crazy to me, unimportant and insignificant to others, but definitely a feat for me. The one thing I'm most afraid of is going blind and not being able to see. Strange phobia, but real. If I had the choice of losing a leg or going blind, I'd get a peg-leg.

I take a deep breath.

God be with me.

Close my eyes with all the trust and faith I could muster up inside of me and slow my heart rate.

God's got me.

I feel whole again for a moment, despite the horrors around me, aside from the blood dried on my clothing, and I clutch the Bible Markus had handed me.

I will not lose my faith, I chant silently to myself. God will protect me as long as I am faithful and obedient.

No, I counter myself, taking in a sharp breath. He will protect me if it is his will. It is not up to me whether I live or die. Either way, heaven is what'll wait for me-the light at the end of the tunnel.

Before opening my eyes back up, I take a deep breath. Once my pupils focus in on where the woman had been standing, a smile forms on my face. She's gone, beginning to circle the room once again. For a moment, I am triumphant. For a second, I've won with the help of God. But for a beat, I wonder how many more chances I'll have face-to-face with the beasts threatening my life.

 But for a beat, I wonder how many more chances I'll have face-to-face with the beasts threatening my life