The Winged Dagger

Our farewell was short and sweet. We both knew that it was likely that we would never set eyes upon each other again. That knowledge nearly broke my heart, then and there. Angelise saddled her mare, Thyra, and filled the saddlebags with supplies that she thought useful. Food, water, flint; items that I would need to survive, wherever I was going. We had not planned that far ahead. I was ready to leave, when Angelise appeared next to me, clutching something that glistened in the moonlight: A knife. I met her eyes, and Angelise held the weapon out to me, offering it. It was a small, delicate piece of craftsmanship, only a hand and a half long. The dagger was silver, decorated with elegant designs of feathers, stretching the length of the blade. Embedded in the hilt was a pearl, likely fished from our beaches.

“Father gave it to me. He didn’t want me going off into the world without a means to protect myself. I think it will better serve you.” Angelise smiled, closing my hands around the small blade and its embossed leather scabbard. Accalia arose from the ground and stared at Angelise, her one blue and one brown eyes glaring as if her precious time was being wasted. Angelise’s smile widened as she knelt to stroke the wolf behind her ear. “We won’t keep you waiting any longer Accalia.” Angelise turned to me, and I flew into her arms, embracing her with all my might. Angelise set her head on my shoulder, and I felt tears soak into my dress.

“Goodbye, sister,” I whispered. Angelise released me, nodding to me once as a sign of respect, and walked back into her home, closing the door silently behind her. I mounted Thyra, glancing over my shoulder to check if Angelise was watching. I saw nothing, but, as I rode down the path leading out of my village, silver-grey wolf loping by my side, I was certain that I felt eyes following me.

~ Angelise ~

I watched Shari go. I was sure that she couldn’t see me; I didn’t want her to change her mind about leaving. She was safe now, but I wasn’t. It was mid-morning by the time Father woke.

“Angelise, my girl! Shouldn’t you be leaving soon? It would do you well to make it to Nept-Tarel before nightfall.” We grinned, slapping my shoulder in greeting. Although it hurt, I didn’t let myself wince. It was best not to should weakness in front of my father. Especially now, when Sharni was at stake.

“Well, girl? Let us go and saddle that horse of yours! What’s her name, again?” Thaydron asked, his accented voice booming over my ears.

“Thyra.” I murmured. How could I be so stupid? I thought.

“Father, if this is truly my last day in our village, must I depart so early? Shouldn’t I spend the day here, with you?” I fluttered my eyelashes. Father loved to feel important. He sneered at the idea.

“Why would you want to spend the day here, when you could be in the city of our dreams by nightfall? Is there something you are not telling me, daughter?” Thaydron stared down at me, his grey eyes appearing harder than usual. I felt panic lace up my spine, shattering my calm demeanour. I grabbed Father’s arm, pulling him towards the beach.

“Shall we go for a swim, Father? One last time?” Thaydron jerked his arm from my grip, slapping my across the face with the back of his hand. Hard. I fell to the ground, clutching my burning cheek as tears brimmed in my eyes. I had pushed him too far. Thaydron glowered at me, his hands clenched into fists.

“Do not touch me again, girl. What are you hiding?” He saw my eyes widen in shock, and he grinned, elated. “I can always tell when I am being deceived, dear daughter. That’s why I became chieftain.” Thaydron leaned forward, and heaved me up from the stone by the collar of my dress.

“Where is that hopeless sister of your, anyways? I haven’t seen her today.” I gasped, struggling to free myself from Thaydron’s powerful grip. He swung his arm, flinging me to the ground, where I sprawled, feeling broken and useless. How had I failed Sharni so quickly? I strove to think of an excuse, any excuse for Sharni.

Sharni is as safe as she can be at this moment. Think of your own welfare.

I gasped, warmth flooding through my veins. The Voices had never come to me of their own accord before. Ideas raced through my mind.

“Please, be calm, Father” I pleaded, my voice growing soft. “I saw my sister early this morning, and she said that she was going to be fishing for pearls today.” I knew that it was best to stay close to the truth. I had seen Sharni early this morning, but she certainly was not pearl fishing... Thaydron still appeared dubious, but his muscles calmed, and he unclenched his fists.

“You are certain of this, Angelise?”

“It is what she said to me.” I smiled.

Thaydron walked to walked to wear I lay, spread-eagled in the dirt, and extended a hand to help me stand. I watched it for a moment, silently questioning his intent, then delicately placed my palm in his, and allowed myself to be hoisted off the ground.

“Do not speak of this to anyone.” He growled, pulling me close as if embracing me. But I already knew not to speak. He said the same words each time he beat my mother and I.

I curtsied to Thaydron, bowing my head, and, with his grunt of approval, I turned towards the stables, and walked. As soon as I was out of Thaydron’s line of sight, I sprinted for all I was worth. II would take another horse and leave, before Thaydron discovered that Sharni was not coming back.