Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

"That's so hot."

Guess who that came from.

Sweet and quiet little Tyler. Poor thing blushed in embarrassment as everyone stared at him in shock. Except one.

Was that a hint of lust in my dear friend's eyes?

We all jumped when loud laughter suddenly filled the still air. Liam and his business school friends, plus Colton and Terrance, bustled in, all wearing board shorts and t-shirts.

"Is the food ready ladies?" Bryon, I believe that's his name, grinned, rubbing his hands together as he eyed the food hungrily.

"Yep," Beth gushed, stepping forward, "we just need you strong men to carry it outside for us."

Jody and I gave each other a look. Really Beth? Could you sound anymore desperate?

Beth stuck her tongue out at us when she noticed our expression.

"Of course," Liam said, grabbing something beside me, obviously using it as a excuse to lean down and kiss me. "And how are you?" He asked quietly, eyeing me curiously, his face inches from mine.

"Good. You?" I hummed, smiling softly at him.

"Never better," He grinned, pulling back. "Come on fellas, time to man the grill," he addressed his friends. They all laughed manly as they carried the food outside through the back door. Jody rolled her eyes playfully.

"Call Tonya, she's missing her own birthday party."

"I got it," Devon pulled out his cellphone, dialed her number and pressed speaker phone.

"Can I help you?" Tonya answered grumpily.

"You're late, you're late, for a very important date," Devon sang.

"What are you talking about? I'm on my way to Sabrina's so could you cut to the chase?"

Devon snorted, "you know you looooove me."

"You have five seconds," Tonya huffed.

"Okay! Just wanted to wish you happy birthday," Devon rolled his eyes.

"Thanks, I guess. Sabrina didn't call me, just texted me about some shoes. Is she mad at me?" My heart broke at the uncertainty in my friend's voice.

"Well you have been MIA recently."

Tonya groaned, "I know, I know it's just that...never mind."

"What? You know you can talk to me."

"Maybe later. I'm pulling up to the drive way, bye."

And she hung up.

"Everybody! Outside," I squealed. Thankfully we cleaned up while Devon was on the phone. I brushed my hands against the front of my dress as my friends rushed outside as I made sure I looked normal and casual. I paced in the foyer, my flip flops slapping against the floor with every step. I froze when the door bell rang.

"Hey, what's up with all the cars on your street?" Tonya wrinkled her nose, stepping inside the house.

"Our neighbors are having a reunion," I lied quickly.

"Pretty quiet," she murmured. "And what shoes are you talking about? Are we even the same size?"

"They're outside, I accident got them wet and set them in the sun to dry."

"Oh," she frowned, confused, and followed me to the back door.

"Oh!" I stopped suddenly and spun around to face her. "Happy birthday by the way."