Twenty-Four

We drove for a few days. The weather was on our side and we were taking shifts driving. The only times we stopped were to either switch cars or siphon gas. 10K was becoming more wrapped up in the spiral that was Cassandra. It seemed like she was getting more aggressive and wouldn't leave Murphy's side, he treated her like a slave at times.

"We really need to stop and rest. Lucy needs something real to eat." Addy observed.

Murphy decided to name the baby Lucy and the only thing we had been able to feed her was sugar water. Which meant she hasn't stopped crying in what seemed like forever.

"Maybe we should give her a dead squirrel or something. I mean, since it can't eat humans yet." I said sarcastically.

Murphy threw an irritated expression towards me.

"Let's clear this area and we can set up camp." Warren stated as we pulled off the road and plowed through the woods and got as far back as possible.

"Got it." I stated, jumping from the car. I made my way a few feet forward, looking for any sign of the undead or other unwanted company. "It's good over here!" I finally yelled.

"Same!" Addy said from the other direction.

Everyone began to stretch their legs and make their own little spot to chill out. Vasquez headed out in the other direction.

"He's been worrying me lately. It seems like he is always disappearing." Warren stated, her eyes following his trail.

"Want me to go check it out?" 10K asked.

"No, I think I'll go. Hold down the fort you guys and keep an eye on him." She pointed sternly at Murphy before heading out to follow Vasquez.

"Murphy, let me take care of her for a while. You need a break." Addy suggested, standing up to walk towards him.

Cassandra jumped up and blocked her path.

"No! You guys stay away from my baby. I don't know what you want to do with her." He insinuated. Him and Cassandra walked a few feet away from us and set up their area.

I sat back against a log, using a smooth rock to sharpen my machete. I watched as 10K lingered a little bit away from us, his eyes fixated on Cassandra. Addy and Doc were talking. I took this opportunity to make my way over to where 10K stood. I stood next to him for a minute before I spoke. "Hey."

He jumped slightly, like he didn't realize I was there. His eyes met mine and he gave me a quick smile.

"So, do you want to go hunting or something?" I suggested.

He shook his head. "I've gotta keep my eye on them."

"Doc and Addy will watch them for a little bit." He really was pulling back.

"It's okay, why don't you ask Addy to go with you or something?" 10K suggested, rolling his T-Shirt sleeves up as far as he could.

I rolled my eyes. I felt a wave of frustration take over. "Gotcha. Well, I was asking you, so it was you I wanted to go with. Just forget it."

10K looked down at me, realizing my annoyance but didn't make an attempt to say anything. I shook my head. "I'll just let you get back to zombie watching." I looked over to Cassandra, so he understood.

I walked past where Addy and Doc were sitting and continued down the path. I needed to take a walk. The uneven dirt and leaves under my feet crunched as I walked forward. It was eerily quiet and the wind blew the tree branches slightly. I wasn't sure why I was so upset. It wasn't like me to get my feelings hurt quickly. This was another reason why I had second thoughts about becoming a member of a group all those months ago. Being surrounded by people meant that there were feelings involved. You tend to get attached. It wasn't like 10K and I were official. I know for damn sure that there wasn't a reason for labels in this world. That's what made it worse, it was like the other night was the farthest thing from his mind. If Cassandra wasn't the way she was, that night wouldn't have happened.

That hurt more. I was second to him. I was just a filler because he couldn't have what he wanted.

I found myself sitting on a flat rock, over looking a calm river. The sun shined down, making the water glisten.

I was dirty. I was lonely. I was bored.

I stripped out of my jeans and shirt. I sat my boots down on the rocks and I let the water enfold me. The water was the perfect temperature and it felt amazing. I needed this relaxation, even though I knew I couldn't stay here too long without something going wrong. There probably was no real peace left anywhere on this earth. I went under and allowed the water to soak my hair, pulling out all the knots. When I came up, my heart stopped as I saw someone standing where I had left my clothing.

"Shit 10K, what the fuck." I breathed and rested my panic.

I rubbed my face and I finally got a good look at him. He was holding his gun still and I could see splatters of blood. He began to undress. I didn't make a move to meet him and I didn't say anything. He looked like he was in a daze, something terrible just happened.

He entered the water with not so much as a glance in my direction. He scrubbed the speaks of blood from his face and hands. He was trying to wash away whatever just happened.

Once he was done he turned to me. "I'm not sure where the others went. Murphy took Lucy and ran. They were supposed to go find them."

It was interesting that he wouldn't have gone. "Where's Cassandra?" I asked almost already knowing the answer.

10K ran a hand through his now wet hair. "It was her or me. I had to give her mercy."

I didn't say anything for a moment because I knew he did the right thing but if I told him that, there would be an argument. "I'm sorry."

His eyes shot up to mine. "Are you?" He asked seriously.

"It's always sad when someone has to die." Was all I said as I decided I was done with my bath.

I walked through the water and headed towards the rock. As I passed him, I felt him grab my body and pull me close. He embraced me in a long hug and I hugged back in comfort. I could feel his hands began to wander and he put his lips hungrily onto mine.

I pushed off him, putting distance between us. "Just don't. You're upset about Cassandra, so be upset about her. Leave me out of it."

I quickly exited the water and began to put my clothes on. An embarrassed 10K kept his eyes focused everywhere but my body as he followed.

"Let's just go find the others." I stated dryly as I ran my fingers through my wet hair.