Eighteen

After the fiasco that was the harvest camp, we drove for a few days until we were all too tired to continue. Eventually, we found an old barn and settled in for some rest. The barn was your typical country red that had large doors with white X's. It was empty besides some old bails of hay and a few farming tools.

Murphy and Cassandra had claimed a stall of their own, all the while Murphy was complaining about being hot and tired and not getting enough respect.

Vasquez and 10K had gone off to hunt in the nearby woods. They were hoping to get a hold of some dinner. Although we still had some dry supplies left, we were running out quickly. I guess when you have an entire group to feed verses only two small girls, things go faster.

I was laying a crossed a large square bail of hay, watching Warren and Addy sort and take inventory of our weapons. Doc was propped up next to us and he looked bored. Unfortunately, Doc didn't have anything to work on.

"Hey Doc, want to go exploring around the outside of the barn? See if we can find anything?" I asked, sitting up.

He wearily looked at me. "There's nothing exciting out there. It would have already made it's presence known."

"I beg to differ. Plus, the wind feels great." I went into my bag.

"Might as well." He agreed.

I grabbed my machete and Doc holstered his gun to his belt. We opened the barn door a few inches and slipped through the crack. The summer breeze felt amazing on this hot day. The field where the barn was located was swaying with the wind. I was at peace with this place and if I could convince the others to stay here, I would. I took in a deep breath and walked to the side of the barn.

"Hey Doc, you still have those papers and that matchbook, right?" I asked with a grin.

His face lit up at the suggestion. "I sure do! Oh man, this is just what I need right now."

I chuckled.

He pulled out the rolling paper and rolled a joint from the Z-Weed bud I handed him. We both walked out into the field and took turns passing it back and forth.

"I'm really sorry about Mia, I know it's got to be hard traveling a crossed the country with strangers." A cloud of smoke left his mouth as he talked.

"Thank you. I mean, I wouldn't want to travel with any other group of strangers. " I smiled, pulling my dark brown hair up into a high ponytail. "10K makes it a little easier." I added.

Doc passed me the joint and a huge grin was playing on his face. "That kid is the best. He can kill a Z with a paperclip and has a heart larger than Texas."

"I can believe it." I agreed. "It's too bad about Cassandra, I wish I could have known her before."

The breeze was strong enough to blow Doc's white hair into his face, he slicked it back with his hand. "She was a good girl. I can understand why 10K took a liking to her but I'm not sure that it was what he thought it was."

"Well in this world, we can only hope for something, even if it isn't exactly what you want." The joint was finished and I flung it to the side.

"It's gotta be what you need." Doc added as he stood up and stretched his arms to the sky.

Just then I could see Vasquez and 10K coming from the woods, carrying some type of animal that would soon become our dinner. I sat there for a few minutes just taking in the beautiful day. Even with the disaster that was the human race, alive or dead, mother nature still won. I noticed a small clear bottle sticking out from the grass. I headed inside after Doc.

All That I'm Living For ☠️On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara