Zombaby! II

Before long, 10K gained a bunk mate and her name was Addy. Now, there were two of us who had been infected by the poison and were dying a slow death. Warren was on high alert, trying to formulate a plan to heal our wounded and get down the road. She wasn't as concerned with the situation before Addy became ill. Of course she was worried but she was preoccupied with Murphy and his baby. Now, it was all hands on deck. I resented this a little but I knew she didn't mean it to be that way.

"I don't care. Why would they want their people to suffer long deaths? I'm taking that Cipro." I replied.

Warren and I were in the barn watching Murphy and Doc worry about Serena.

"We have to think this through. These people are nothing but good. We have to make the right decision." Warren replied. I could tell she was being spread thin.

I sighed. "I understand that Warren, I really do but this is 10K we are talking about and Addy. We can't go on without them."

She held my gaze before rolling her neck. I heard it crack and she looked back up to me. "Let me talk to Vasquez." She headed towards the barn door.

"Warren!" I grabbed her attention before she turned the corner. "Whatever it is you decide, I'm still getting those antibiotics, with or without your help."

She lingered for a second before she disappeared outside. I turned my attention to Murphy, who was cringing at Serena's new found strength. She gripped his hand tightly.

"It's coming!" She screamed as she let out a few heavy breaths.

"Damnit." I whispered.

Doc motioned for me to come help and I did so reluctantly. This was ridiculous. Who has a baby in the middle of hell on earth? Over time, I did begin to love these people and I felt like I was part of the group but everything was always so damn extreme. The next fifteen minutes were pure agony for Serena and it wasn't so great for us either.

"Guys!" I screamed when I noticed the undead flowing into the barn.

They weren't attacking. They seemed intrigued by the sight in front of them. The baby finally made its way out of the womb. When I said made its way, I meant crawled out. The baby had piercing eyes and blue skin like Murphy. As the baby girl cried, the Zs that surrounded us became more restless.

"We've gotta get the hell out of here Doc." I said, pulling at his shirt.

"Cmon Murphy, time to go!" Doc said as he gathered up his medical bag.

Warren showed up at the door, taking a few Zs out with her gun. I pulled my machete from the new holster that 10K had made me a few days prior.

"Just go!" I heard Serena say to Murphy as he tried to pull her along. "Save our baby!" She continued.

It took a little more convincing from Doc but we finally got Murphy to make some movement. I slashed a few Zs as we made our way to the barn door. As I exited the barn, I heard fatal screams coming from within. Warren let out a single gun shot and we all hightailed it to the truck.

Addy and 10K were already in the back and I jumped in with them. Warren peeled wheels.

The road was bumpy and I could tell that it was hurting their bones. The antibiotics were working but they didn't work on the pain. My hair blew around as I noticed Warren looking at me through her review. I gave her a smile and she nodded in agreement. I looked back to the farm. We had made the right decision for us but it still didn't suppress the guilt I was feeling for the Mennonites. Although we contracted Anthrax from their farm, they helped us and we just left them in the hands of a horde of zombies. Not to mention it was zombies that we attracted.

I wasn't much of a religious person but I was praying that they were going to make it through.

I leaned back against the side of the truck, sitting close to 10K. I tilted my head back and looked at the sky. It was a pure blue. What a nice day. I was growing tired. I allowed myself to rest my head on 10K's shoulder. Who in turn, rested his head gently against mine.

I drifted off to the sound of cooing, coming from the backseat.