Twenty

"Warren, what's the real plan here? I'm getting the sneaking suspicion that Murphy is more trouble than he's worth. I mean, we run into trouble in almost every town and we aren't even sure that the doctors are alive." It was just Warren and I packing up the truck.

She gave me the side eye as she made sure everything was strapped in. "I know it seems that way now. It seemed that way to all of us but we are running off of hope and this group is family."

I nodded. "I understand that you guys feel that way and I respect that but I'm not sure I have much hope for myself."

Warren stopped what she was doing and sat on the tailgate of the truck. I sat next to her. "There's nothing you have to hope for?" She asked me.

I studied her face as she asked the question, trying to read her expectations. "I want Mia to be here and I wish the world never went to shit."

"The key word in that sentence is 'wish', those are things you wish for, not things you are hopeful for." Warren replied, pointing towards the others. "We all wish we could have people back but we can't. It can't be a reason for us to stop moving forward and hoping that we can deliver the answer to the outbreak. We can't just dwell on our past lives but we have to strive to make new ones. We will never forget about the people we lost but we find new people. We help them and if we are lucky, we feel for them the way humans should feel."

"Like how 10K feels for Cassandra." I spoke in agreement.

"No honey, the way 10K feels about you." Warren smiled.

"What?" I rolled my eyes.

"I keep a close eye on this group and I notice things. I notice the way you both look at each other and the way he is always pacing when you're not in eye sight. Plus, you guys have been sharing your shifts at night. Whether there is romance blooming or friendship, it's what I mean about feeling something." Warren explained as the others walked over.

"Ready to roll sisters!" Addy sang as she hoped into the truck.

I smiled and hopped in behind her.

We were all piled into the large truck, heading out on our mission. The thing keeping this group going. I wouldn't say it was something that kept me going but it was growing on me.

"I wish I could just live there." I whispered quietly to 10K who was sitting next to me.

He followed my gaze to the barn that we were leaving. The sun shined down on the red painted wood. You would think the world was a perfect place if all you saw was the barn and that meadow.

"Maybe one day." He whispered back. His lips were so close to my ear that I shivered slightly at the warmth of his breath.

My mind briefly flashed back to the field a few nights ago. To how the night breeze felt against my bare skin and how his breath felt on my neck. I shook myself from the moment, reminding myself that I was in a car full of people.

"Wait a minute. Isn't that Serena?" Addy said as we drove down the road.

"Serena the pie chick from that crazy lady camp?" Murphy perked up.

Addy gave Murphy a look of disgust as she motioned Warren to pull over. Warren did as Addy asked and I took in the sight. A pregnant women out roaming the streets of the zombie apocalypse? That didn't seem right to me. Another thing that didn't seem right to me was the fact that she was three times as big as any pregnant women I ever saw.

Addy got out of the car to greet her and they exchanged a short hug. Serena explained her story as we all intently listened.

"Murphy? Our Murphy?" Doc asked in shock when she pointed to who was responsible for her growing belly.

I shook my head. "It's like a video game. Each town is a level filled with more and more craziness we have to get through.

10K chuckled but Warren gave me a disapproving look. I could tell she didn't always like my commentary, especially since it wasn't normally positive.

I watched as Serena and Murphy walked off to have a talk. The rest of us stretching our legs and chatting about making room for Serena on our journey.

I felt someone standing close behind me but I didn't say anything. I knew it was 10K by his stealthiness and my complete ease.

"10K, can you help me with this?" Doc hollered from the truck.

10K made a point of squeezing my hand before he walked off.