Five

After 10K and Addy collected two large buckets of creek water, we all headed back to the house. 10K grabbed Doc and they headed over to the van to work on cooling the engine down. Vasquez and Warren were sitting at the kitchen island, talking about their next move, what direction would be safest and who really owned Murphy. Meanwhile, Murphy and Cassandra sat very close to each other on the sofa, looking defensively at the rest of their group.

Addy was assisting Mia at cutting up the carrots into nice portions for everyone to eat. It looked like these guys could use some nutrition but I wasn't ready to give anything up yet. Murphy and Cassandra were making me nervous and I didn't want them anywhere near Mia. I was keeping a close watch on both of them.

Doc and 10K came busting through the door. "We've got company."

Warren and Addy rushed to the window, "It's only a small pack of them. The sun is almost down, close all the curtains and everyone stay low. No sounds." Warren instructed.

"How many?" I asked 10K who came to stand closer to me.

"50 or so." He whispered.

Mia had followed Addy to the window but Addy lead her away as she shut the blinds. We all ducked low, leaning up against walls, under windows, just trying our best to stay out of sight. My breathing became hitched as I heard them knocking around outside. Mia clenched onto my hand as she sat patiently next to me. 

Murphy stood from the couch and walked over to the window.

"Murphy..." Warren growled in warning.

"A guy can't stretch his legs?" He complained, throwing his arms up.

"Sit down." I ordered, his eyes met mine and I held the steady gaze.

He did some weird sarcastic dance, "sit down" he mocked.

I stood up and took a few steps toward him, "If you mess up what I have here by attracting those things, I swear to Christ..."

Cassandra jumped up and planted herself between me and Murphy. Cassandra growled at me, causing Murphy to grin. Warren jumped up and pulled Murphy back to the couch, she coaxed Cassandra to follow in Murphy's footsteps.

"Everyone stay silent and still." She ordered, returning to her spot next to Vasquez.

I realized I was the only one still standing when 10K tugged the sleeve of my shirt, trying to get me to sit back down. I did just that and pulled Mia a little closer.

It seemed like two hours had gone by. Doc and Addy were both napping on the floor, Warren looked tired herself, as Vasquez was staring off into space and 10K was cleaning his rifle.

"Warren, let's do a check." I whispered.

She nodded.

I stood slowly, letting my legs uncramp. I let Mia stay next to 10K while Warren and I walked to the front window.

"Looks like they've all passed." She said to me.

"Let's be sure. I'll go upstairs, I can see on a larger scale from there." I explained.

She nodded in agreement. "Vasquez and I will sweep the back yard and the sides of the house."

She grabbed Vasquez and cautiously went out the back door. I went upstairs and into my Uncle's old bedroom, grabbed the binoculars and scanned the area. I didn't see the horde anymore, so that was a sign that they had passed our town. I did, however, see some undead roaming around the town and a few strays making their way on the outskirts.

I watched Warren and Vasquez kill a zombie that was too close to the house. I put down the binoculars and let out a long sigh. If they weren't around, I would go back to the bunker and let this all clear but they didn't get a chance to test their van because of the group of undead coming through. Since there were a few straggling dead, I kind of wanted these people to stay, also, in case there was any more backlash from the shootout in town. I shouldn't have to clean up their mess.

I heard Warren and Vasquez come in the back door. I stood from the ground, took one last look outside and went downstairs to report what I saw.

Everyone was awake and in the kitchen now, still staying quiet and still.

"There was a Z pretty close but we took care of it." Vasquez explained.

Warren nodded in agreement, "there doesn't seem to be any more on or near the property."

"Well, I didn't see the horde of 'Zs' anywhere, so it's a good sign that they passed. Unfortunately, there seems to be a few stragglers and there are some undead roaming around town. More than I've seen in a long time." I said leaning against the kitchen island and giving their group a look.

"We are sorry for bringing trouble. We didn't know anyone lived in this town." Addy apologized.

"It's not like it's something to be broadcasted." I retorted.

Mia sensed the tension and stomped on my foot, trying to get my attention. I looked down at her with a stern face. She smiled up at me and attempted to wink. I chuckled at her failed attempt. Mia was trying to lighten my mood and she accomplished just what she hoped for. I turned to the group.

"Look, sorry I'm a little on edge. It's been a while since I have interacted with other human beings, alive ones at least." It was my turn to apologize.

"We understand." Doc nodded.

"It's dark, getting late and you guys look hungry. You aren't sure if your van is working and we aren't sure how far that horde actually got. So, I propose that you all spend the night here. Get some rest and get yourselves together for whatever journey you are about to make." I put the invitation out there, but hesitantly.

The all shared looks.

"That's very kind of you. We accept." Warren replied.

Mia jumped up and down and went around the room, hugging the new guests. It was good to see her happy.