Eight

The sun was shining in my face as I slowly opened my eyes. I immediately realized that my head wasn't on a pillow but instead on 10K's chest. I sprung to my feet, then noticing that Mia wasn't in the bed. I threw on my jeans, I slipped my arms through my button up that I was able to keep unbuttoned because I was still wearing the white tee shirt. I put on my shoes and made my way downstairs, my heart beating a mile a minute.

As I descended the steps, I heard Mia shirking. I jumped the last few steps and ran into the kitchen. The sight in front of me wasn't what I had expected.

Addy and Warren were helping Mia wash a bundle of vegetables. I could tell they were freshly picked, so Mia must have taken them to our garden box. They were all laughing together. Mia wasn't in trouble, the shriek was a shriek of laughter not of pain.

"Good morning! Thanks so much for a place to sleep last night. I really needed some rest." Addy smiled.

Warren nodded.

"Want to come help?" Mia asked me.

I shook my head.

10K and Doc came down the stairs behind me.

"Hey little lady, thanks for the bunk last night. I'm refreshed!" Doc said, patting me on the shoulder.

I watched as he made his way into the kitchen.

I turned to head back upstairs. "Excuse me."

"Are you okay?" 10K asked.

"I'm fine." I stated, continuing up the steps.

I heard him enter the kitchen, exchanging some words with the others. I walked into the bathroom, closing the door behind me. It's funny how I am more concerned and scared of getting close to these people than I am of the undead. Mia always caused me to have my guard up, I was worried 24/7 about her life, our life and what happens next but when she asked for a stranger to spend the night in our bed, all of a sudden, I said yes.

I sunk down in the corner, resting my head in my hands. This wasn't the plan. I wasn't supposed to get to know anyone. It was supposed to be Mia and me for the long hall and when she finally left this earth, I would follow. There wasn't supposed to be other people to consider. Mia hadn't had a seizure in months and it worried me that she was starting to have them again. I could feel the sting of the tears running down my face.

Knock Knock

I didn't want to know who was on the other side of the door but the knocking persisted.

"Yes?" I choked out.

"It's Addy. May I come in?" She asked in a sweet voice.

I argued with myself for a moment. If I let her in, I would be letting someone else into my life that would need to be taken into consideration, whom I actually might grow to enjoy. If I ignored her knocks, I would find myself feeling guilty for being rude and then they might not continue to be so friendly.

"Come in." I whispered as I wiped the stray tears from my face.

"What's going on?" Addy asked, as she took a seat next to me.

"It's nothing. I am just going through something right now." My voice was monotone.

"We are all going through something right now. This life isn't easy, we all have our demons. You've got it pretty good here." Addy replied.

I looked up at her. "I choose not to travel the world full of the undead and put myself in careless situations, that's why I have it okay here but it doesn't mean we have it good. I'm sure you guys could find a place to do the same."

"Once you've been out there, you get something out of it and the situations you get put in. You don't want to just stay in this house till you're dead, do you?" Addy positioned herself in front of me, grinning.

I stared back with a grin, "Actually, that's exactly what I was planning on doing."

"Well, God forbid but what about after Mia, ya' know..." Addy began.

"...after Mia what?" I was alert now.

"We heard about what happened last night." She stated timidly.

My blood began to boil and my eyes narrowed. "That's none of your concern." I was trying to stay as calm and as steady as I could. I stood up and opened the door. My mouth felt dry so I headed down to the kitchen.

Everyone was still hanging around but this time instead of food there was a large map spread a crossed the kitchen counter.

"How are you doing Mia?" I asked as I wrapped her in my arms.

"Great, Cora! They are teaching me how to read a map." Mia smiled up at me.

"We are also planning our course of movement." Vasquez stated, letting me know they weren't wasting time.

"Great." I said.

I watched Addy come downstairs and take a seat next to Doc. Murphy and Cassandra were still camped out in the living room, looking as friendly as ever.

"I need some fresh air. Why don't you come with me 10K?" I asked, in a false joyful voice. I kept my eyes on Addy as I asked the question.

He got up and slung his rifle around his shoulder. I motioned for him to follow me as I swung open the back door, grabbing my staff before heading to the backyard.