A Ghost from the Past

*Annabelle's P.O.V.*

        I desperately tried to hold back the gagging sounds that threatened to make their way out of my mouth as I watched, in utter disgust, the men around me tear at the raw meat on the plates before them with their bare hands, eating it like pigs. I sat on Hengist's right, Gwen, thankfully, right next to me, and we both watched as all the men, and there was about 100 of them, in the hall enjoyed themselves at the 'feast'. I could see Kendrick from across the room, drinking mead wantonly with a prostitute on his lap, many others on other men's laps all around the room. I glanced at Gwen from the corner of my eye, and could see her trying not to throw up right there and then. I, myself, was having trouble.
        "Silence!" I jumped as Hengist suddenly roared from beside me. I haven't even noticed that he stood up. Everyone immediately quietened down, and looked over at their leader, "Our royal guest, Lady Morgana, has grown bored," Hengist said with a disgusting smile on his lips as he placed his filthy hand on my shoulder. On reflex, I tried to squirm away from his grasp, "She needs entertaining," Hengist said with a grin, and suddenly all men present jeered with laughter. I glanced over at Gwen for a second, before looking back up at Hengist, only to see him nod to someone. Only a second later, the gate inside a huge cage that was placed in the very middle of the room opened, and from within the tunnel behind the gate came out a tall and strongly built bald man with a sword in his hand. All the men immediately gathered around the cage, cheering him on as he growled and yelled at them viciously, swinging his sword around, "Bring on the challenger," Hengist ordered, and a flash of metal glistening against the light from the chandeliers immediately caught my attention. And then my heart stopped.
        Even past all the men surrounding the cage, I could see him. He has changed a lot, but I could never forget his face. His hair was no longer down to his shoulders, but short like my brother's or Arthur's. He was wearing a chain mail tunic, and he even grew a scruffy beard. His dark eyes somehow found mine from across the room, and I could do nothing but gape with wide eyes. How?
        "Only one of you will emerge from the cage alive," Hengist said as he sat down, and my head snapped over to him so quickly that a slight headache actually arose, "Do you accept the challenge?" he asked, and Lancelot simply bowed as all the men around the cage cheered.
        Hengist then gave a sharp nod, and without warning, the man in the cage swung his sword at Lancelot. I yelped, my hand quickly traveling up to cover my mouth as I gripped Gwen's hand for support, watching Lancelot just barely escape the blade as he jumped back, quickly bringing up his own sword to block the attack. They clashed sword roughly, and I couldn't help but flinch every time the sound reached my ears.
        "Oh, my God..." I breathed out, slowly lowering my hand from my lips. I haven't been this frightened for a long time. In fact, I haven't been this frightened since Arthur was on his deathbed.
        I watched as Lancelot, once again, jumped back to avoid getting slashed across the stomach, before bringing his sword up again the block the oncoming attacks. Soon, the opponent swung both of their swords around to the point where Lancelot had to bend down in order to not lose his grip on his sword, and he quickly ducked once again as the opponent slashed through air. My grip tightened around Gwen's hand as I realized that, just half a second earlier, Lancelot's head was in that place.
        The opponent yelled as he striked at Lancelot, whose back was now pressed against the cage's wall. I gasped as the opponent brought his sword down on Lancelot's hard, and watched with tears in my eyes as Lancelot pushed back with all his might to avoid the blades coming in contact with his face. Thankfully, Lancelot pushed back with enough strength to not only get the opponent away from him, but also make his way to the center of the cage instead of standing pressed against the cage's wall.
        They clashed swords again, and Lancelot once again jumped back to avoid the blade. As they clashed swords again, the opponent managed to get the upper hand and slam his shoulder into Lancelot's side, pushing him against the wall. My breathing quickened for a minute and I heard Gwen say something to me as my grip on her hand tightened, but I couldn't even make out the words. All I could do is watch as the opponent swung his sword at Lancelot, and as Lancelot jumped out of the way just in time. However, instead of attacking, even though he now had the upper hand, Lancelot simply held up his sword and waited for his opponent to face him again. I breathed in shakily as I realized that his nobility, the same one that once made me admire him more than any man I've ever known, could get him killed.
        The opponent then attacked once again, and they clashed sword so quickly and so roughly that I could barely make out the movement. However, only a few seconds later, Lancelot managed to pull back just in time to elbow his opponent in the face before the man could strike him again. As the opponent remained disorientated, Lancelot managed to slash him in the arm. They clashed swords again, but Lancelot managed to pull the blades down, and stepped on the opponent's foot to stop him from moving and brought his other foot up to kick his opponent in the chest, immediately making him fall to the floor.
        He then stood above the man with his sword at ready, ready to kill him any second. I watched, my breathing shaky. No. No, this... this wasn't the Lancelot I remembered. He would never kill someone. Not when that someone was unarmed. That would go against every sense of honor that he so strived to live up to. I saw him glance up, and our eyes locked for the shortest of moments as I watched to see what his next move will be. Though.... I actually think I already knew what it would be. I know Lancelot well enough to know that the is the most noble man I've ever encountered. He would never kill a defenseless man.
        I tried not to flinch and give anything away as Hengist's gaze followed Lancelot's and peered at me curiously. I only watched the man I've missed a great deal ever since he left Camelot more than a year ago shake his head, and lower his sword, despite all the men around him, cheering him on and nearly requesting the opponent to be killed. Lancelot then stepped back and proceeded to walk out of the cage as someone opened the door, and I breathed out in relief, trying to quickly blink the tears in my eyes away. He is safe. That's all that matters.
        Lancelot then stepped in front of us, and his eyes flickered to me as I tried to avert my gaze, letting go of Gwen's hand and making a mental note to apologize for nearly breaking her bones later. Hengist then grabbed a small brown pouch off the table, before tossing it to Lancelot, who caught it effortlessly. I could hear the coins inside it.
        "What is your name?" Hengist asked.
        "My name is Lancelot," Lancelot replied, and I felt my breath hitch at the sound of his voice. I haven't heard it in so long that I almost forgot the gentle and soothing sound of it.
        "You have proved yourself to be a... skillful warrior," Hengist nodded, "I believe you may even have impressed our royal guest... Lady Morgana," he said, and I tried not to betray my nervousness. Lancelot knows who Morgana is very well. And he very well knows that I am not her. If he says anything, I'm as good as dead, and most likely so is Gwen. But deep down, I think I already knew that Lancelot would never hurt me. So I wasn't very surprised, if anything a bit relieved, when he simply bowed respectfully.
        "My Lady," he said, and my mind unwillingly traveled to the memory of him calling me that whenever he spoke to me. Always insisting to call me 'My Lady', even when I am nothing but a servant like Gwen and Merlin.
        "Next time you fight... do not expect any mercy," Hengist suddenly said after laughing, and my brows, as well as Gwen's and Lancelot's, furrowed in confusion, "Release the Wilddeoren," Hengist ordered, and my brows furrowed further. What on Earth is that?
        My question was, unluckily, answered as the gate to the tunnel opened again, and from it came out the most horrid creature I have ever seen in my life. The closest thing to an actual animal that it resembled was a rat, which made me all that much more frightened. Though, it was something like a mutated rat. Had no fur, only slimy skin, and its snout was more like a pig's then anything. However, the worst part of it was its teeth, which were huge and clearly very sharp.
        The man Lancelot fought earlier, who was still in the cage, screamed in fright as the doors to the cage closed and the Wilddeoren made its way towards him. All I could do is look away, seeing Lancelot and Gwen do the same thing from the corner of my eye, and try to block out the man's agonized screams as the Wilddeoren bit into his flesh.
        After a few seconds, Gwen and I raised our heads again, both of us breathing heavier than normal, and my gaze almost automatically traveled to Lancelot, whose eyes were already on me.