The Truth

*Third Person's P.O.V.*

Because Merlin and I didn't take any horses on our journey, we returned to Camelot quite some time after Arthur returned with Morgana. Our official excuse was that we were busy gathering herbs for Gaius, and, just to be safe, I even grabbed a few herbs or plants that resembled herbs on our way back. By the time we returned to the castle, it was already dark, and while Merlin proceeded to go to Gaius's headquarters, I immediately made y way to Morgana's chambers. I could literally feel my breath coming out in short pants as I walked down the hallways, wanting nothing more than to make sure that she's okay.
Once I reached the door, I decided to stop and knock, not knowing whether she'd be asleep after such a long and exhausting, as well as terrifying, day. Thankfully, the door opened only a few seconds later, and a fully awake and dressed in one of her beautiful gowns Morgana stood before me.
"Oh, thank God," I breathed out, and without a second thought, I lurched forward, wrapping my arms around her tightly. I felt her arms snake around me only a second later, and she burrowed her face in the crook of my neck.
We stood like that for what seemed like forever, before I finally pulled myself together and released my grip on her, but kept my arms on hers. Not wanting anyone to hear what I was about to say, I swung my foot to the side and kicked the door shut, before looking Morgana in the eye.
"Are you alright?" I asked, and, probably noticing the underlying note of seriousness in my voice, she took a second to think before answering.
"I'm fine," she said, though her voice was still a bit shaky and I could tell that there was something on the tip of her tongue that she didn't necessarily want to say out loud but felt like she had to.
"Morgana..." I trailed off, silently begging her to tell me what the matter war. After everything she'd been through today, the least I can do is put her mind at ease before she goes to bed.
"What was said at the woods-" she began shakily, avoiding eye contact.
"Morgana," I cut her off, gripping her arms a tiny bit tighter to turn her attention onto me, "You can trust me. You know you can," I said, and she nodded, even looking a bit embarrassed at her lack of trust. But I didn't consider it 'lack of trust'. I know exactly how she's feeling right now, and yes, it is all the obvious emotions: fear, confusion, etc. But above all else, she's just feeling lost. Lost at what to do, whom to trust... I know that feeling all too well, "I promise you that your secret is safe with me. I won't tell anyone anything, I swear. And I can assure you that Merlin won't, either," I said, my voice soothing, and Morgana's lips pulled up in a smile as tears of relief filled her eyes.
"Thank you," she said quietly, wrapping her arms around me tightly. I smiled into her hair, and hugged her back for a few seconds, before pulling away with a smile still on my lips, "I know now who I really am," she said, nodding to herself as she looked down for a second, before looking up at me, "And it isn't something to be scared of," she said, and I smiled softly at her. At that moment, she really reminded me of myself as I looked into the mirror one day, a few years ago, and realized that my magic isn't a curse. I had the exact same glint in my eyes as she does at the moment. So did Merlin, "Maybe one day people will come to see magic as a force for good," she said with a small smile on her lips, and I felt my own smile grow.
"Maybe," I agreed, looking at her with a soft smile before leaning forward to hug her one more time, "It's good to have you back," I murmured, and I felt her arms tighten around me the slightest bit.
"Thank you, Anna. For everything," she said quietly, before pulling away, and I gave her a smile before heading towards the door.
"Are you going to be alright for tonight?" I stopped beside the door, my hand on the knob but unwilling to turn it as I felt hesitance bubble up inside me. I'm not 100% sure I'm okay with her being completely alone for the night. She's been through so much today.
"I'll be fine," she assured me with a smile, and I nodded after a second before giving her a smile and opening the door.
"Sleep well," I said as I turned around, before closing the door. As soon as I did, I turned around and leaned my back against it, closing my eyes for a moment and releasing a sigh. So much has happened today that I didn't even realize how tired I was. I could literally feel my legs beginning to shake from all the strain on my muscles.
I opened my eyes and sighed, a sound that actually sounded sort of like a groan coming out of my mouth, before pushing myself off the door and proceeding to head down the hallway, already dreading my confrontation with Gaius. He's definitely going to be angry with me.
Too caught up in my thoughts, I didn't even notice someone walking right towards me as I made a turn, which resulted in me slamming into someone's chest. I released a breath upon the impact, trying to stable myself as the hands gripped my waist, helping me regain balance.
"I'm so sorry, I wasn't watching where I was go-" I cut myself off as I looked up, looking into the all too familiar blue eyes.
"No harm done," Arthur smiled down at me, releasing his grip on my waist as I blushed. Oh, my goodness... And what am I supposed to do now? I've barely even looked at him ever since our... kiss... how am I supposed to begin a conversation with him? "Are you returning from Morgana's?"
"Yes," I quickly put on a smile, probably speaking up a bit too quickly for him to believe that I was comfortable around him, so I decided to slow down and relax a bit, "I just wanted to check up on her and see if she was alright for myself," Arthur nodded in understanding as I smiled a small smile before looking him in the eyes. Bad idea.
The moment I looking into his eyes, I felt all air leave me. His eyes reflected every single emotion I wasn't ready to confront yet, both from his side and from mine. I had no idea how to even approach the fact that we kissed.
"I, um..." I stuttered, subconsciously glancing down at his lips. Though, if I didn't imagine it, his eyes traveled down to my lips as well, even if just for a moment, "I have to go," I finally said, and before he could say anything, I quickly walked around him and proceeded down the hallway, not once turning back. I immediately began to feel guilty for leaving him like that, but nothing can ever happen between us. So what's the point of entertaining the idea and only causing both of us pain?
I walked through the hallways of the castle, before finally reaching the door to Gaius's chambers. Though, before I could enter, I stopped and took in a deep breath, for the first time in a long time actually feeling scared of seeing Gaius. Though I knew I had to, so I breathed in one more time, before pushing the door open, and immediately turning around to close it as soon as I was inside the chambers so that I wouldn't have to make eye contact with Gaius just yet. But, as soon as I closed the door, I had to, and I slowly turned around to face him. I saw my brother sitting at the table, already eating supper, and silently decided that maybe things won't be so bad. I mean, if Merlin is still alive, then perhaps Gaius won't kill me, either.
I took a few steps forward, slowly approaching our guardian, before stopping a few feet away from him and sighing as the guilt began to rise up again.
"I'm sorry, Gaius," I said softly, knowing how much I must have worried him. Not to mention I also disobeyed him, which wasn't the greatest step. Yes, I was doing what I thought was right, and yes, I helped Morgana, but I have no idea what happened to all the Druids at the camp. The camp that was most definitely just debris now that the Camelot guards took care of it. Were these people even alive?
Gaius didn't say anything as he took a few steps forward, eyeing me the entire time, before stopping right in front of me. I didn't know what was to come, and I did't know what I expected, but I most certainly did not expect him to wrap his arms around me. Which is exactly what he did.
I was so shocked that it took me a moment to hug back, but once I did I felt his arms tighten around me and couldn't help but smile a small smile. I could see Merlin smiling from where he was still sitting at the table.
"I thought you'd be angry with me," I said, the smile still on my lips but my brows furrowing in confusion as I pulled away before looking at my guardian.
"I was," Gaius said, "Right up to the moment you walked in. Then I was just grateful that you're back safe and sound," he said, before turning his body sideways to look at both me and Merlin. "Both of you,"
"Morgana knows the truth," I spoke up after a moment, deciding to not hide anything from Gaius. Things never turned out well when I did, "The Druids told her that she has magic," I said, and looked down as I saw Gaius sigh silently. "I'm sorry,"
"It's not your fault," he said. "You were only doing what you thought was right,"
"We all were," I said, looking up at him before also looking at Merlin, who glanced down with a sigh.
"What happens now?" he asked, and I looked at Gaius, also wanting to know the answer more than anything.
"We must take care of her, especially you," Gaius said, looking at me, to which I nodded. I will protect Morgana. I will protect my best friend. If it's the last thing I do. "And hope that Uther never discovers the truth about her powers,"

Well, this is it for 2x03! What did you all think? Did I do this episode justice? Personally, I'm not too sure 'cause it's my least favorite episode of the season, so I didn't really have inspiration for it, but I hope you all enjoyed it!
And oh my God, I'm so excited to start writing 2x04! It's one of my favorite episodes ever, and I have so many ideas!
But remember, 15 votes for this chapter before I update a new one!