The Once and Future Queen

*Third Person's P.O.V.*

        "One more match. The tournament will be over," Arthur said as he put on his cloak, his soft eyes looking down at Annabelle, who stood in front of him.
        "And you can go back to being Prince Arthur," she smiled, and Arthur nodded with a small smile of his own, even though both of their hearts ached at the thought of not being able to be around each other in this manner anymore. They both wanted to have more time together, but Annabelle remembered the saying, 'nothing good ever lasts forever'.
        Trying not to dwell, she looked down at the white cloth in her hands, before glancing up at Arthur.
        "I, um..." she trailed off, looking down at the cloth again, before gathering up enough courage to look at him again, "I thought you might wear it," she said as she gently placed the cloth in Arthur's hand. "For luck,"
        "Thank you," he smiled softly, his blue eyes not leaving hers for even a moment. Annabelle noticed, and couldn't help but smile, looking into his eyes as well.
        It was then that Arthur realized that this is his last opportunity; his last chance to do what he wanted to do for many months. If he doesn't do it now, he may never have the chance to do so again, and that thought alone nearly crushed him.
        Without thinking twice about it, not wanting to have even a second that could make him hesitate, Arthur leaned down and placed his lips on Annabelle's just as the sun rays peaked through the window. Her lips were soft, and Arthur has never in his entire life felt as he did right now. He has never felt such a strong felling for anyone as he did for Annabelle.
        Annabelle, on the other hand, was shocked. But that didn't stop her from kissing Arthur back almost immediately. Her eyes fluttered shut in content, and as their lips moved in sync, Arthur gently gripped her waist with his hands, pulling her closer. She, in return, wrapped her arms around his neck and let her fingers slide into his hair. She felt her heart thumping against her chest quicker than it ever did before, and relaxed into Arthur's touch.
        After a moment, Arthur found it within himself to pull away, even though that was the last thing he wanted to do. He looked down at the blue-eyed beauty before him, and stared into her eyes for a few more seconds, his hands still on her waist and her arms still around his neck. She stared up at him with shock in her eyes, but his eyes only held one look: the look of love. However, the tournament was about to start.
        "I must go," he said quietly, cursing himself for leaving her after what just happened, but she nodded understandingly, unable to find her voice to say anything.
        Arthur gave her one last look of pure adoration and longing, before slowly taking his hands off her waist. Her hands slid down from his neck to his shoulders, and rested there for a few seconds, before pulling away. As soon they completely separated, Arthur turned around and exited Guinevere's house, knowing that he wouldn't have the strength to do so if he so much as glanced at her one more time.
        Once the door closed, Annabelle closed her eyes, releasing a soft sigh, as her lips twisted into a small smile, her heart still beating faster than usual.

*Annabelle's P.O.V., 20 Minutes Later*

        I clapped vigorously, along with everyone else in the stands, as Arthur and Sir Alinor prepared for the match, both of them already in full armor. The man in the arena then swiped the flag through the air, and quickly ran away, as Arthur and Alinor charged. Their horses galloped at full speed, and their lances were positioned in the other's direction. There was a small smile on my lips as I waited for Arthur to defeat Alinor, but something that I have not expected at all happened. Alinor's lance slammed against Arthur's chest, making him drop his own lance as he struggled to remain on the horse. I gasped and stood up from where I was sitting in between Gwen and Gaius, and stared at Arthur in worry and shock, seeing as I did not expect him to get defeated at all. No one in the stands moved, but I felt even more worry surge through me as I saw Arthur slump forward, his left hand holding his right side, clearly in pain. Without thinking twice, I quickly ran pushed through Gwen and ran down the steps that were in front of Morgana and the King, quickly leaving the stands. I picked up the hem of my dress and ran in between the barrier that separated the arena from the stands, and the people who sat in the front row. I could feel eyes on me, but I didn't care. Not right now.