22. Laughter and Music

Start from the beginning

"Mistress Lindsey?"

I hear a familiar voice from the other side of the house gardens.

"Alfred, is that you?" I ask as the owner of the voice comes into view.

"Alfred is our driver." I tell the two cousins.

Alfred has been living here at Edenfield for as long as I can remember. He used to drive me to school before my doctor recommended me that I walk. I barely see him, now-a-days. He lives in this old wooden cottage right next to Edenfield. My dad had offered him to live in Edenfield but he always refused saying that big houses don't suit him.

"Yes, it's me. Are you looking for the key, Mistress?" Alfred says.

"Yeah and don't call me mistress. I've told you before." I make a slightly disgruntled face.

He smiles and hands me the extra key.

"Old habits, die hard, child. Your brother always tells me that, as well."

Speaking of brother....

"Is Dylan here, yet?"

"I think so, I saw his car. I don't drive him anymore. He prefers to drive himself."

I open the door and let Allison and Ethan in. I motion them to go to my room.

"So you're always free?" I ask. A driver isn't a driver if he doesn't drive. He must get really bored if hasn't got any work.

"No, Ms Bragge often sends me on errands and to get a few items she forgets. Neither mine nor hers memories are what they used to be." He gestures towards his full grey hair.

When I was child, his hair only had a few streaks of grey. Now, it is totally grey.

Alfred is a tall old man(about maybe five feet and eleven inches) and in his sixties. I used to play with his thin lined moustache when I was younger. On the bright side, the grey hair looks nice with his usual black driver's coat.

I smile and thank him for the key.

I walk towards my room to find Ethan, Allison and Dylan there.

Instead of his usual coat and trousers, Dylan is wearing a blue t-shirt and jeans.

That's a first.

"Okay, so everyone's here. Let's get started on the journal." I announce.

I take out the journal from my study table drawer and sit on the bed with Allison. My key was in the drawer all this time. I put my bag near my bed.

The moment I sit on the bed, the journal jumps out of my hands and onto the floor with a loud thud.

It opens to a specific page.

Dylan picks up the journal carefully and says, "Okay, that was weird."

The page doesn't have a specific date on it.

Dylan flips back a few pages and reads it outloud.

The pages that he is reading is what happened, the last time we went to the Edenfield of 1890.

"This is all the same except...."

We reach the part where Henry wakes up after fainting and hears his mother talking to a Doctor Hopkins.

"He was a heart patient? That explains why he was clutching the left side of his chest." Ethan nods.

We read further and find Meredith and Isabelle talking about Isabelle's future.