Chapter 46: New Setbacks

Start from the beginning

            “Most of the guards tend to stay on the east and west side of the castle. If you’re going to attack, do it from the north.”

            Out of the corner of his eye, Dearekk saw Cormack step next to him. “Why not south?” he asked, running his hand through his long brown hair.

            A smirk crept across his face as the half-elf traced his finger in a line going south from the castle. “There’s a road there. Most of the trees were cleared last spring so you won’t have any cover there.”

            Standing to walk out, Dearekk was stopped when Nolik took a step in front of him. “Why in the world,” he said, “would there be guards at the east gate? There’s nothing but the village to the east of the castle.”

            The half-elf allowed a look of mock surprise to pass over is features. “Didn’t you know? There’s a wonderful tavern in that village, and guards don’t work forever. Whoever guards the east gate gets first chance at the serving maids. Who could blame them? After all, we’re only human.”

            Right at that second, a young elf girl rushed into the tent. “Messenger…looking for…the half-elf…and Sonya,” she managed to choke out through her gasps.

            “Kitha!” Cormack sighed. “They can wait, we are busy now.”

            The blonde-elf’s eyes were as wide as the dinner plates back at the castle as she said, “But they’re fay!”

            Dearekk and Sonya’s eyes met for a split second before they raced out of the tent. It took a moment for Dearekk’s sight to adjust to the sunlight, and when it did he saw two fay, hovering a few feet above the ground in full armor. The silver armor had lavender lining and glinted in the sunlight. Their helmets covered their faces, and their wings protruded through two slits in their armor.

            After glancing at Sonya, Dearekk opened his mouth to speak, only to be interrupted by the fay on the left.

            “Zabin, this was seriously the stupidest idea you have ever come up with in your life. I’m taking this ridiculous armor off right now.”

            There was a moment of silence, and then Sonya doubled over laughing. A huge grin covered Dearekk’s face as he recognized the voice of the Seer. The two fay pulled off their helmets to reveal familiar faces and tussled hair.

            “Zabin decided that he wanted surprise you,” the Seer drawled. “But he insisted on wearing this stupid armor instead of just letting me cloak us for a few moments once we arrived.”

            “You would have given them a heart attack, not surprised them,” Zabin grumbled, obviously angry that his surprise had been ruined.

            Shaking his head, the Seer let out a soft chuckled before continuing, “The fay armies are just south west of here. About 8,000 fay stand at your command..”

            Dearekk’s attention was turned to Zabin, who he saw gazing at Sonya, an absurd smile on his face. “Zabin,” he snapped, trying to keep the annoyance out of his voice.

            “What? Oh! Eron and his men are with the fay. We about had a nasty run in with each other, but luckily a band of Quarries arrived at the last minute and we attacked them instead of each other. He brought a little under 2,000 men.”

            Nodding, Dearekk tried to organize his thoughts. “And Nyx? Is she coming with the dwarves?” he asked.

            The Seer ran his fingers through his white hair and let out a sigh, his wings fluttering behind him. “I have had no contact with my sister since she stayed behind with the dwarves at Cretinia. But come with me, I must speak to you about something.”

            As Dearekk followed the Seer into the tent, he noticed that the songbirds were silent.

            “Do you remember why I left you after we departed from the Earthen Citadel?” the Seer demanded, once Dearekk and Sonya were in the tent.

            The half-elf swallowed the lump of fear in his throat and replied, “There had been a breakout in the Asylum. Please, don’t tell me…”

            Grimly, the Seer nodded. “They are here with the King. Sonya, do you remember the girl that attacked you in the Asylum? Before Dearekk received Ventar?” When Sonya gave a wordless conformation, he continued, “Her name is Bellada. She was once the High Priestess of the One Who Created All, but after she was corrupted, she turned to the Goddess of Night.”

            “How powerful is she?” Dearekk asked.

            The Seer adjusted his blindfold before replying, “Her powers rival my own.”

            Her hands covering her face, Sonya murmured, “This is not good. This is not good at all. What are we going to do?”

            “I don’t know,” was Dearekk’s only reply as he looked at the Seer for help. “There must be a way to incapacitate her.”

            “I grew up with her,” the Seer replied bitterly. “We were childhood friends. We knew everything about each other; we understood one another. Both of us had been burdened with a great power from childhood. We both lived with the danger of our own power consuming us each day, and no one understood us like we did. Her power was always lesser than mine, until she gave herself over to the darkness of her desires. I will have to be the one to kill her, no one else will have the power to.” The Seer paused, an expression of pain crossing his face. “I loved her. She was my best friend, even closer than Nyx. When she turned…well, some would say I was never the same.”

            Dearekk looked closely at his white-haired friend. The exhaustion in his voice was evident and the fay’s head was hung down and his hands over his face. “Will you be able to do it?” the half-elf whispered. “Kill her, I mean. If you loved her…” he trailed off. “I just need to know that I can count on you to do what needs to be done. Can I?”

            A wry, bitter smile passed over the Seer’s face. “I don’t know. Can you?”

(A/N Short chapter, nothing new really. Oh well, next chapter hopefully should be good. :) Anywho, remember to vote and comment! I love you all!

~*~*~ Ninja Out~*~*~)hu