Chapter Four - Four More Days

I stared forward at the back of Thorin's head as we walked down the pathway towards the outskirts of the Shire

I stared forward at the back of Thorin's head as we walked down the pathway towards the outskirts of the Shire. I had met the others in a clearing after I fed my horse, but they were glum and silent when I had met with them, awaiting something. Kili and Fili had no problem showing their grins as they rode alongside me though, staring back and forth between me and their uncle.

"My goodness, would you at least act serious when we're going on a quest where we will most likely not come back from?" Dwalin glowered as he stared at the two nephews.

"Can you see it Dwalin? Can you feel the love?" Kili asked teasingly.

"Enough of the matchmaking business, at least look halfway like sons of Durin." With that said, Fili's face went more relaxed and serious while Kili's face went dark and terrifying. Dwalin gave an annoyed sigh before riding ahead to be beside Thorin.

"My god, he must love Thorin more than I do," I said with a scrunched up nose, making Fili and Kili look constipated as they tried to hold their serious demeanors.

"Why would you say that..." Fili hissed trying not to laugh.

Ori gave both of the boys a curious look when he caught up to us on his horse.

"I don't mean to be rude, but why do you two look like that?"

"The Durin look has been crushed successfully." I said proudly, "Savor it, you'll never see it again."

"Alright, pay up, Bilbo's not coming," Nori said to Gandalf.

"Hurry auntie, make a wager!" Kili said excitedly.

"Bilbo will indeed be coming," I said, my eyes closing into a content look.

"Wait! Wait!" A voice was heard over the bickering of the dwarves. "I signed it, I signed the contract!" Bilbo said running up to us as the horses came to a stop. Balin took the contract from Bilbo and examined it closely with a pocket magnifying glass, a ghost of a smile making its way onto his face.

"Everything appears to be in order. Welcome Master Baggins, to the Company of Thorin Oakenshield." Balin said glancing at Thorin who had his signature glare on his face, whilst the dwarves around him cheered.

"Give him a pony," Thorin said, casting his glance at me for a bit before continuing down the path. I completely zoned out at this point, watching ahead until I caught a coin purse flying at my face. I gave Dwalin a questioning look and he rolled his eyes.

"You won the bet." Was all he said as he roamed beside me.

"No, no, wait, wait, stop! Stop! We have to turn around!" Bilbo exclaimed exasperatedly.

"What on earth is the matter?" Gandalf asked with knitted eyebrows.

"I forgot my handkerchief!" Bilbo exclaimed.

"Here, use this." A cloth was thrown at Bilbo, which made us both cringe at how ugly and frayed it looked as everyone else laughed.

"Here, take mine, I have some more in my bag," I said softly, handing him my cream embroidered handkerchief.