Chapter Five - The Rain

Our horses waded through the cold rain, everyone looking miserable, excluding me. I love the rain, it clears the skies and feeds the plants. Without it, nothing would grow, and everything would dry up. My dark locks clung to the side of my face, wet and drippy.

"Here, Mister Gandalf, can't you do something about this deluge?" Dori asks, looking at the sky with disdain, making me grin.

"It is raining, Master Dwarf, and it will continue to rain until the rain is done. If you wish to change the weather of the world, you should find yourself another wizard."

I let out a small laugh before blocking out their talking, staring up at the sky, watching the raindrops thin out.

~

"We'll camp here for the night. Fili, Kili, look after the ponies. Make sure you stay with them." Thorin said, sliding off his horse.

"A farmer and his family used to live here... " Gandalf said forlornly, looking at the damaged cottage frame.

"Oin, Gloin," Thorin commanded.

"Aye?"

"Get a fire going," Thorin said smoothly, as I watched them all from a distance, not feeling comfortable with the openness of the clearing.

"Right you are," Gloin said, grabbing Oin to start the fire and collect wood.

"I think it would be wiser to move on. We could make for the Hidden Valley." Gandalf said, making Thorin tense up.

"I have told you already, I will not go near that place," Thorin growled.

"Why not? The elves could help us. We could get food, rest, advice!" Gandalf exclaimed, making me take note of his sarcasm at the end.

"I do not need their advice." Thorin sighed, glumly.

"We have a map that we cannot read. Lord Elrond could help us." I listened to them intently now. Map? What map?

"Help? A dragon attacks Erebor, what help came from the elves? Orcs plunder Moria, desecrate our sacred halls, the elves looked on and did nothing. You ask me to seek out the very people who betrayed my grandfather and betrayed my father?"

"You are neither of them. I did not give you that map and key for you to hold on to the past."

"I did not know that they were yours to keep," Thorin exclaimed.

I watched as Gandalf began walking towards me before Bilbo stopped him.

"Everything alright? Gandalf, where are you going?" He asked panicked.

"To seek the company of the only two people around here who have any sense!"

"Who?"

"Morgana and myself, Mister Baggins! I've had enough of dwarves for one day!"Gandalf exclaimed before riding off ahead. I watched from the far edge of the trees. I was afraid we would not last long in such a noticeable clearing.

"Come on, Bombur, we're hungry," Thorin said, only shedding me a glance before he walked under the cover of what was left of the farmhouse.

~

I already had my share of dinner, so I watched the sky from my perch in a tree.

"Pssst. Hey Auntie!" I heard not so good whispering coming from behind me. As I stared back and at the tree trunks I took notice of the two young dwarves, waving me over frantically.

"We need your help!" Kili said looking a bit weary.

"What is it?" I sighed.

"Daisy and Bungo are missing!"