Chapter Three - The Contract

That night I stared at the sky, not yet ready to make my journey inside just yet

That night I stared at the sky, not yet ready to make my journey inside just yet. From what I could hear, the majority of the dwarves were already sleeping in the living room, no less. I blinked out the blurriness in my eyes, sleep already beginning to set in. I was planning to sleep in one of the armchairs, or just set up a small campsite out by my horse. Or, maybe I could just wait the night out, watch the stars for as long as I could, try as I might. Though as soon as that thought crossed my mind, I yawned, and soon a couple of minutes later, as I lay in the grass, I started to doze off. Just as sleep began to set in, my eyes darted open when realization caused me to think that someone was watching me. It dawned on me quicker than lightning at the scent they carried.

"Hello, Thorin. What brings you out here on such a nice night?" I asked, glancing over by the house, where he stood, watching me.

"Fili and Kili set all your stuff in the guest bedroom, so that is where you'll reside tonight." He said, casting his glower around the garden.

"Give it to someone else, I'll just sleep on the armchair," I said standing.

"They'll need to be used to the ground, go ahead and take it, they can sleep anywhere." He ordered, and I nodded with a sigh.

"Then how about you take it?" I asked.

"It is much too soft for me, I like something hard to lay on."

"I didn't know the King Under the Mountain slept at all," I said with a warm smile, and his glare softened a bit at me.

"I am no king." He spoke before heading back inside. I frowned before standing, making my way towards the doorway, trying not to pass out on the way. Once inside, I made sure to lock the door, though I must have checked about five times just to make sure, in my drowsy state.

When I set off towards the guest room, I stopped in the kitchen to get a glass of water. My face grew into an amused one when I saw Bombur sneaking a midnight snack, consisting of another giant cheese block.

"Isn't it a bit late to be eating a snack, Bombur?" I asked in a teasing tone. He stiffened and turned to me, hiding the block.

"I-uh, wasn't-um, I wasn't eating, I was just packing for tomorrow, yep, that's what I was doing..haha.." He managed to say flustered and stuttering.

"I'm just kidding if you're hungry, eat, you'll need the energy. Goodnight, and sweet dreams." I said stifling a giggle, waving over my shoulder as I entered the guest bedroom with a soft click of the door. I gave a sigh of relief when I found my bag and my cape. My first objective was to light the fire and watch the blazing coals flow into the cold air, lulling me to sleep instantly when my head hit the pillows of the guest bed.

~

When I had awoken early the next morning, I was in an unfamiliar spot. I came to realize that I was sprawled out on a bed in what seemed to be Bilbo's guest bedroom, except with more light. I wiped the sleep out of my groggy eyes, and slowly stood, using the nightstand as leverage. I took notice of my belongings on the far side wall and began dressing into a cleaner outfit, I could still smell and hear the dwarves, the majority of them were still sleeping, but there seemed to be two people up and talking in the kitchen. Quickly repacking all of my things, I left them in the said room until it was time for me to depart. I opened the door slowly and peeked out before swiftly stepping out and shutting the door behind me.

I quietly made my way to the kitchen, in which two people were bickering silently amongst themselves. I listened in on the heated conversation only to realize it was Gandalf and Thorin. Peeking into the living room, I noticed all of the snoozing dwarves, spread out everywhere across the room. Walking a little bit into the room I gave a soft laugh as I discovered Fili and Kili tangled on the floor, unconsciously spooning in their sleep. When they woke up, no one was going to let them hear the end of it. I exited the room then walked into the kitchen. Upon noticing me, almost immediately Gandalf straightened up, nearly hitting his head on the ceiling lights. I placed a hand over my lips trying to contain my smile as a questioning glare was sent my way by Thorin.

"Just thought you might want to know, your nephews are in a heap in the next room, should I wake them to save their embarrassment?" I asked Thorin with my own questioning gaze.

"No, I will wake them myself, we have to leave soon anyway." He huffed before entering the living room by himself.

"Does he always have a stick up his-"

"He has a good reason to, he lost a lot as well, you should know that yourself, how you're still cheery is an adventure all on its own. I hope you got plenty of sleep, because our adventure starts today, and I could really use your cheeriness and wiseness." Gandalf said with a sigh, giving me a soft smile.

"Gandalf, you know I can-"

"Good morning Auntie, thanks for getting Uncle to wake us first, that was horrible-"

"You're the one who has to hug everything near you while you're sleeping!" Kili said with a small hiss. I gave a small laugh which caught their attention, causing smiles to erupt on both of their faces.

"I know who to go to for comfort at least. Did you both know that you smile in your sleep as well? Because while you were-"

"Alright, alright, please don't say any more!" Kili begged and pretended to be sick.

I laughed before Thorin came back into the kitchen.

"Pack up your things, we leave as soon as possible. Don't forget anything, there will be no turning back." He said before he re-entered the living room, barking orders in a low voice, as not to awaken the burglar sleeping in the master bedroom. I left the boys to their bearings and entered the guest bedroom, grabbing my stuff. As soon as I had reattached everything to myself, I made my way back to the kitchen. When I had entered, the kitchen was completely deserted, so with the time I had, I refilled my canteen with water for the journey ahead, considering I had no choice in the matter of whether I wanted to go or not.

Right as I secured the canteen to my waist, I stepped into the living room, only for a paper to be shoved into my hands. I fumbled with it for a bit until I looked up and saw Balin.

"We're giving you the same contract we gave Bilbo, expenses, funeral arrangements, so long so forth. Decide quickly, we have no time to waste." He said before leaving me to my choices. My gaze turned to a confused one as I cast it at Gandalf, who whistled innocently and passed me a quill.

"Gandalf... You just won't take no for an answer will you?" I asked with a sigh, as Kili and Fili watched off to the side in excitement.

"I cannot exclude you from this adventure, it would be good for you to get back into traveling further, you're always cooped up in your house. You need this, I'm afraid of how much thinking you've done alone, you could even be wiser than me."

"Also twice as funny!" Fili exclaimed.

"Don't forget good looking!" Kili added, a teasing wink in my direction. I sighed and dipped the quill into some ink laying on Bilbo's side table. I laid out the entire contract and made quick readouts of requirements before I swiftly signed my name, leaving myself no chance of turning back.

-Morgana Delisle