22. Saying Goodbye

It was always a blessing to witness the goodness of the Lord whenever I am with Esther's Home. And that afternoon was not an exception. The staff and children prepared a farewell party for Gellie. She would be reunited with her mother this week.

"Gellie, just never forget that we love you and that we are praying for you. You may not understand it now but when you grow up you will surely remember this. Be a good girl and don't forget to pray..." Ate Leah said to Gellie.

Gellie ran to Ate Leah and embraced her.

Ate Dina requested me to say something for Gellie but my eyes were drowned by tears. Saying goodbye was one thing I couldn't really overcome. I looked at Rachel instead and she understood. Ate Dina noticed it and gracefully asked Rachel.

"Gellie, I will surely miss you. We will all miss you. But you'll forever stay here in our hearts. You became a part of us. We love you..." Rachel uttered.

Gellie smiled. Everybody took the time to embrace her. After a while, we closed into prayer. I also approached Gellie and she gave me the best hug in the world.

"Ate Faith, thank you. You know how to hug already!" She whispered to me. I had to smile.

"Of course, you taught me how. You're a great teacher Gellie!" I said.

"Be a good girl and eat well. We love you Gellie." I told her.

"I love you, Ate Faith..." Gellie said.

We all played outside after the farewell party. DJ reminded me to play chess. He won three times in our three rounds.

"Okay, DJ. you won again. But it's okay. Ate is not feeling well, that's why..." I kidded.

"Hahaha, maybe Ate..." DJ graciously agreed.

We laughed at each other. It was almost 7 pm. The children went inside their homes for dinner. Rachel and I prepared to go home also.

"So, do we have dinner outside?" She asked me.

"Yes, we do! Justin cooked a while ago but we finished everything...I'm so sorry Rachel." I apologized.

"That's perfectly fine Faith! You don't have to say sorry. Knowing Aimee and Justin...oh that's a given!" Rachel declared.

We said our goodbyes to Ate Dina.

"Faith, when will I see you again?" Ate Dina asked me as she put her arms on my shoulder.

"Soon...we'll see about that. I can't wait to return. And Ate Dina, I have something to give you."

I waited for Rachel to get her car. I pulled out the paper bag in the back seat and handed it to Ate Dina.

"As promised Ate Dina, here's your copy of the "More Than Fairy Tales" book..." I smiled at her.

"Oh, thank you so much. I've waited for this," said Ate Dina.

"Hope you'll be able to find this interesting and make you feel good somehow...."

"It will surely make me feel good. Thank you so much."

"You're welcome!"

I got inside the car of Rachel and waved my hand to Ate Dina.

Rachel and I decided to have dinner at Chips and Chicken Diner's.

"I'll have chicken broccoli and a halo-halo. How about you Faith?" said Rachel.

"I will try chicken tofu rice and a halo-halo also," I said.

"Oh, that's weird. Are you really ordering halo-halo? Let me remind you that it's cold!" Rachel teased me.

"Yes, I know that it's cold. That's mainly the point of me ordering it. I need to have some cool spirit here and thinking to do..." I confirmed.

"I see. Have I missed something?" Rachel asked.

"Oh, no. Just for a change. I heard that halo-halo is really best here..." I explained.

"Okay, if you say so. You know that I'm just here for you..." Rachel reminded me.

"Of course, I know that. Thank you, Rachel"

I knew that Rachel had so many things in her mind already. And I didn't want to add another worry to her. I was really surprised when I saw Isabel a while ago but I would like to handle this by myself.

All I knew about Isabel was that she's someone special to Gabriel. Nothing more and nothing less. But after our conversation, her words kept coming back to my mind.

***
Isabel opted not to come inside our house instead she requested for us to just sit down on the bench near our garden.

"Faith, can I ask you something?" Isabel started our conversation.

"Sure, Isabel, anything..."

"Thank you.... Faith do you have any special feelings for Gabriel?"

I was taken aback by her question.

"Oh, Gabriel is a good friend and he is indeed special," I said.

"I mean, do you think you'll like him more than just a friend?"

If only I could run away from that moment...

"Do I really need to answer that?"

"I need to know Faith..." she said.

"Isabel, I knew that you and Gabriel are together and I'm so sorry that I bothered him when I was in the hospital. But I'm sure that we're only friends...nothing special between us."

"We are not together Faith."

"But, I thought you and Gabriel are..." I was confused.

"I wish we are. But we're just friends," she said.

"I'm so sorry..."

"All my life, I've waited for him to notice me. But he didn't. I thought he finally did until he found the one he's been looking for a long time."

I could only hold her hands to let her know that I understood her.

"Thank you, Faith...I shouldn't have come here." Isabel said.

"Oh no, it's okay. Does he know about this?"

"Not exactly..." She replied.

I thought I already regained my strength but after hearing Isabel's confessions, I felt otherwise.

***
"Faith...the waiter is asking if you still want to order a drink?" I heard Rachel say.

"I'm so sorry. I'll have a coke please..."

"And... anything else?" Rachel waited for my response.

"Can I have a slice of strawberry cake, too?" I told her.

"Of course, make it two, please." Rachel requested.