So, who or what do I trust? It remains as nothing or no one for now, until I am truly proven that for once abandonment, or neglect, or judgement shall not be the breaking cause of my trust in someone. That is too much to deal with.

"Time's up! Hand 'em in, and you guys have the rest of class to work on another assignment or read, or pretend to look busy, I don't care. Just no talking." Mr. Porter ends the writing time and takes up the notebooks from everyone, immediately heading back to his desk to get started on reading them.

Until class ends I find myself testing ways to distract my wandering perfect-Kendall thoughts. Staring at a clock hurts my head, focusing on the sound of the student's pencil tapping on the desk behind me annoyed me, and I could barely do homework. What a life to be living, huh?

Once Creative Writing ends, I pick up my things. Matthew waits for me to gather my stuff, and as soon as I finish, I'm stopped.

"Miss Rachel, may I have a moment with you?"

I look back and see Mr. Porter leaning back on the front of his desk, his arms crossed, and he shoots me a grin. I turn back to Matthew, unsure what to say or do.

"I'm heading to my next class, I can't be late since it's a longer walk, so I'll catch you later?" Matthew gives me an encouraging smile before quickly wriggling his eyebrows in a teasing way and I'd love to gently smack him right about now.

I walk closer to my teacher, who speaks just when Matthew leaves the room. "Now don't worry, didn't call you here to lecture you," he reaches back and puts the strap of his back over his shoulder. "But I wanted to compliment you. Miss Rachel, I must admit, your journal impressed me a lot today."

Secretly very happy that this was what he wanted to speak with me about. As I've been saying, Matthew keeps overreacting over absolutely nothing.

"Thank you, I mean it...it's not my best, usually with more time I'd revise it, type it.."

"But, without all that embellishment, and for a speed assessment, yours impressed me more than anyone's. Your friend there did exceptional too," Mr. Porter silences my rambling. "I wanted to talk more with you, but I'll let you head to class for now. See you around?" He smiles at me again, putting his hand on the small of my back as we make our way to the door.

I give him a slight nod and return the smile. "See you soon, goodbye." We both wave at each other, and I can feel his powerful eyes on me as I head out of the hallway for my next class.

* * *

Hey Rach, change of plans. I can't eat take you out for lunch today, my mum wanted to have lunch with me. I'm sorry. Hopefully tomorrow?

As I read through Matthew's text, my heart drops. I understand completely, but I really wanted to eat with him again today. He took me out yesterday, and we planned for today. I told him I don't care to eat with Jen and Hayley, and I still don't want to.

It's okay, Matthew. Maybe I'll just head home in a taxi. See you. I reply, then switching apps to Uber. Matthew is probably already with his mother since his class are over for the day, and here I am, taking an Uber to and from school to avoid my family and boyfriend.

Uber ought to just get to know me personally already.

"Miss Rachel?" I hear a whisper behind me. I turn and see Mr. Porter, his lips curled into a smile. "Thought it was you."