An Unexpected Surprise

Crona stood waiting at the open grave. She spotted Kid and his father walking back in her direction, and waved shyly. Kid ran over.

He had grown at least an inch from the day he had first met her, and now she had to tilt her head all the way back to look at him. His new suit looked good on him, she noticed sheepishly. And oh, he was smiling! It sent a warm chill down her spine.

"Hi," she managed, after a while.

"Hi," he replied, smiling down at her.

He was very close, Crona noticed. She could feel his warm breath on her forehead. And then his arms were around her waist, and hers were around his neck. And now, all of a sudden, he was closer than ever. She could feel his heart beating, and was vaguely aware that hers was pounding, and then...

She jumped away from him as if she had been shocked. Gasping for air, she turned away from Kid so he wouldn't see her blush.

"What is it?" He sounded alarmed. "Crona, is everything all right?"

Crona made a strangled noise. "I just realized something," she gasped, not facing him.

"Realized what?"

"Your mother is my mother's sister..." she squeaked. "And that means she's my aunt... And that means... It means..." she struggled to speak.

She heard Kid's amused chuckle behind her. "Which means... Of course! Why didn't I think of that before? Oh Crona..." his chuckle turned into a laugh.

"I'm sorry," she whispered, embarrassed.

"It's alright..." Kid laughed, "I was never really into asymmetrical girls."

Now Crona was laughing, too. She turned around to face Kid. "Gee, thanks!"

And the two cousins laughed together.