Stupid, Stupid.

Rosalyn knelt on the floor, hanging her head sadly. What had once seemed like a brilliant plan to save her dear son was now nothing but a stupid move; a childish fantasy in the heart of a young woman playing at the role of a hero. She knew her husband would eventually find her; that by trying to protect Max, she was only postponing the inevitable; but she did it anyway. All that struggling and trying to keep a job and raising a child on her own was just a stupid, stupid waste of time.

Stupid, stupid.

Those words echoed around her head as she thought of her poor husband, Shinigami-sama. How had he reacted when he found out that she was gone? She had probably broken his heart. He probably hated her now. He could just go ahead and kill her. Rosalyn numbly let this sense of failure wash over her. The world around her seemed to dull to a faded grey blur. What had she done?

Stupid, stupid.

Selfishly, she contemplated suicide. If she tried, she could probably remember a good killing spell. Then she wouldn't have to see the hatred she was sure she would find in her husband's face. She wouldn't have to watch Max's heart slowly break in two.

Max. He couldn't watch her die. That would tear him to bits, wouldn't it? Or would it make him happy, to finally be rid of her? She had raised him on secrets and lies. And now, she had managed to ruin his whole life in one night. Or had it been ruined the night she left Death City? One thing was for sure, he was better off without her.

Stupid, stupid.

Rosalyn's thoughts were so overwhelming, she barely heard the huge wooden door that led to the Death Room slowly creak open.