Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Eddy meandered through the aquarium in a daze, finally arriving at his car. He had been stripped of his security clearance. The guard at the Cetacean Research Lab hadn't even let him in to get his things. He took out his phone and went to 'contacts'... Sara... his finger hovered above the keypad. The man simply didn't know how to tell his wife that he lost his job. After all, it wasn't like Eddy had a family to turn to, nor did Sara.

He moved his thumb to the cancel key and touched it, bringing the phone back to the home screen-- a picture of the three dolphins in the Far Reach project. After being around dolphins so long, Eddy could tell them apart like people.

Most importantly in identifying dolphins are they fins. They are almost like a fingerprint, with their different scars and marks. The dolphins themselves could tell who's who with a keen sense of sight alone, unlike dogs which identify more with smell than sight. Eddy thought back over all the good times he had at the aquarium. It was almost like he was dreaming. It was over. Christ, he didn't even know how he was going to pay the bills anymore.

The interior of the car was stifling and humid. He hadn't even bothered to roll the windows down when he got in. He just sat there. Burning up in the heat and thinking about what just happened. Finally, Eddy snapped out of it. He put on his seat belt and cranked the car. There was no certain destination when he pulled out of the parking lot, turning out on to highway 44 East, which was heavily congested by midday traffic.

How was he going to tell Sara? Storm clouds could be seen brewing in the distance. They were already blocking out some of the sun. Eddy reached over and started rummaging around in his glove compartment. Two weeks earlier, he'd broke and bought a pack of cigarettes. Only smoking one of them, he had left the pack in the glove compartment just in case. "Ah, there you are." He wasted no time and plucked one from the pack, lighting it on the car lighter. The warm menthol vapors were cool on his lungs. He felt better. The craving was satisfied. Eddy's Sable breezed through a north bound overpass. There were a lot of restaurants and gas stations on both sides of the road.

His stomach growled mildly. Maybe a snack would help him think better. He pulled over at Louis' Diner. The place was deserted surprisingly, but it didn't matter. Eddy wasn't in the mood for a crowd of people, he needed to think. The diner was a small stand alone building next to sporting goods store and out of the way, it was perfect.

Ring. Ring.

Small bells jingled as he entered the restaurant. The pale yellow flooring inside was old but clean. A dozen or so wooden benches and chairs gave the place a homey atmosphere. At the back was a bar with high stools to sit on.

Eddy opted for one of the benches on the right side of the store. One young woman sat at the bar, holding small talk with the cook and server. Once Eddy sat down the server brought him a coffee, which he took gladly, also ordering a hamburger and a slice of apple pie. Sweets had become a regular part of Eddy's diet. Between them and all of his wife's cooking in the last two years he'd put on at least thirty pounds.

Then it hit him again. How terrible this was. He just couldn't stop thinking about it.

When the food came it offered him a welcome relief. He thank the server and ordered a sweet tea, finishing off his coffee and handing the empty cup back to her. Eddy bit into the juicy burger and sighed. He was screwed. All the time he had put into this project and now nothing except for the two thousand dollar severance check he'd got on the way out. This was the pits.

At least he was able to just relax now and enjoy his food, which was making him feel better already. Pretty soon he'd be done with the burger and on to the pie. The way Eddy was feeling it would be no surprise if he ordered something else after that.