Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Present Day

The Director’s Office at the Orange County Marine Aquarium was large and brightly lit by many florescent fixtures, making it feel like an interrogation room. To make matters worse, people weren't called to Terry Mulligan’s office for idol chat. Edward Johnson, the Aquarium's chief marine biologist, waited patiently in the black leather sofa that sat awkwardly angled towards the boss's desk. The smell of overpowered cologne flavored the icy air in office. Despite the hundred degree weather outside, it was no more than sixty in here.

Terry had good taste. His office was as much for impressing middle aged women as it was for holding corporate dinners. At sixty-two, Terry still held himself well, having a better body than most twenty-five year old's. With lasting good looks Terry has only a few gray hairs, good skin, and was swell with the ladies.

Mr. Mulligan flipped through various papers and folders on his desk finally turning to the newspaper laying next to his pen holder and coffee mug. He grabbed the paper and held it in front of Edward, squinting then raising his eyebrows as he looked the man down. “I'm assuming you've read this morning's paper.”

Eddy cleared his throat. He knew there had to be a bad reason he was called here. The headlines read: NEW INSIGHT ON DOLPHIN INTELLIGENCE. ARE THEY SMARTER THAN US?

The headlines seemed to catch Eddy off guard, “uh... no sir. I can't say that I have.” Eddy tried to remain calm, but he could feel his face flushing. The least he could have done after talking to a reporter was check the news the next morning.

The Director's brow sagged. “Eddy. Don't play with me, Kid. The article says that a leading scientist at this aquarium had commented on the dolphins, and that quote, 'they are too smart and divine a creature to have in captivity,' end quote. I know you're the only one on my team that would be dumb enough to say that to a reporter.” Terry's eyes were piercing, knowing. There was no point in trying to deny this out right.

Edward straightened up in his chair, instantly furious, but trying not to show it. “That is not what I meant, Sir. They are twisting what I said.”

The morning sun came through the administrations office window, quickly overpowering the florescent lights. Mr. Mulligan set the paper back on the desk and took a sip of coffee. “I know you mean well, Kid. I used to be there at your age. Wanting to help things, but the fact is without these dolphins you won't have a job, and what's next? Pretty soon it'll be illegal to have gold fish in an aquarium. The dolphins are our main attraction. Without them, we don't have a show.” His tone had become more harsh towards the end, but he seemed to catch himself and forced a smile.

“Sir, the point I was making was not that we should free our dolphins, but rather we should keep on-going research into dolphins and see how smart they are. If our studies did indicate that they were indeed sentient beings, then we should set them free if that's what they wanted.” Edward sat hands out and matter of fact looking.

“I know what you mean Eddy, but the papers are going to develop this into a story regardless if someone gets hurt. I can't allow you to work for me if you're saying this place is doing something it shouldn't.” Terry leaned back in his desk. This kid was something stupid. He gets a gravy job taking care of a few dolphins and now the punk thinks he can do whatever he wants. Eddy was little more in Terry's eyes than a glorified animal feeder making forty thousand a year,

Mr. Mulligan was pissed, and Eddy knew it. The guy had never made eye contact with since he had hired Eddy two years ago, and now he sat leaned back in his retro executive chair piercing through him with a stare that told that he wanted to kill him. Fighting back a feeling of intimidation, Eddy managed to say that he was sorry. He hadn't felt so backed into a corner since two football players caught him alone in a locker room in college. Needless to say the incidence had left Eddy traumatized and feeling like he was in grade school again. Now he was feeling like he did back then, and this was just his boss.