Dani Cross' Past

Dani was the daughter to an Ex-SOLDIER and a former genius scientist; she was born as a child prodigy. Right after Dani was born, the Ex-SOLDIER and the former genius scientist decided to take it easy in the Ex-SOLDIER’s hometown Nibelheim to take care of their family. Dani has a pretty good childhood with Cloud and Tifa, but it was until her 12th birthday. The Ex-SOLDIER and the former genius scientist were informed about and assign a mission. At first, they refuse, but then they think of Dani, and will do anything to keep her safe.

Dani end up staying with Tifa. It has been a couple days without any news from Dani’s parents. When a mail came to Nibelheim, addressed to Dani, she hurried and read. Sadly, it was bad news about her parents. Dani didn’t took the news well, and end up crying on Cloud’s shoulder.

When she turns 14, she decided to sign up for SOLDIER. Of course, she was considered “young” “daring” and “little genius”. But Dani didn’t get in SOLDIER right away. She has to go through the same thing as the men do. They told Dani that they’re not going to treat her differently just because she’s a girl. In the end, she surprises them, especially Lazard since he came there personally to witness because he heard about Dani participating in the test. Lazard knew about Dani and her parents since her mother was good friend with Lazard. It was because of her performance and signs of being a genius, Lazard accept her in.

After Dani was accepted into SOLDIER and assigned as a 2nd Class, Lazard assigned Sephiroth to be Dani’s supervisor, but it was Sephiroth himself that wanted to since he shown interest in her, and would like to see her improve through his supervision. It may be rough, but thanks to Sephiroth’s words of encouragement, Dani decided to suck it and become strong.

During her time as a 2nd Class, she met Genesis and Angeal as well. Genesis would flirt with Dani with words from Loveless, and Angeal would criticize him for doing so.

A few months later, Dani met Zack. Of course, it was so surprising for Zack to meet a woman in SOLDIER, especially during his simulation test. He thought Dani was just another virtual being in the simulator. But it was when she stole his kill. Zack was a little angry at first, but he warmed up to her when he has a good look at her. During that time, Dani has already become almost like the second Sephiroth.

Right after that day of their first meeting, Zack has tried to make Dani smile for him, but she keeps refusing to. He even asked her what she thinks of him. Dani’s only reply was, “You’re like an older brother, Zack.”

Even though Zack wasn’t expecting her to say that, he was at least happy that Dani consider him an older brother figure. A few days later, she met Aerith at the slum. She went there to see how everything is; wondering if there is something she can do to help the environment. Right after that, she went to the church, and was astonished to find flowers growing there. Dani walk up to the flowers, and sit down. She felt calm just being in that church. So, she stays for a couple minutes…maybe about an hour, she doesn’t know how long time has passed that day.

And just when she was about to walk out, Aerith came in. The two have a conversation. For some reason, Dani feel like she can talk to Aerith about anything. She feels so easy to open up to Aerith. Aerith was like an older sister to Dani, giving her advice and words of encouragement.

As days go by, Dani was assigned a mission…an S-Rank mission, and it was recommended by Sephiroth himself.

To Dani, Sephiroth, Genesis, Angeal, and Zack are like her protective older brothers. But Sephiroth is willingly to step out of that older brother zone and become a mentor figure.

Dani’s S-Rank mission was to investigate a now deserted town west of Midgar. Once she made it to the area where the monster is, she was shock and horrified. The monster was a Marlboro, and it looked menacing. The Marlboro was eating people alive.

Dani grew angry and kill the Marlboro without mercy. After that, she became a fearless warrior and was promoted to 1st Class. Dani didn’t show any emotion, but a calm expression. She hardly shows any emotion, but only to Zack and Cloud.

When she heard that Sephiroth was accompanying Zack (and Cloud) to Nibelheim, she volunteered to come along.

She wasn’t the same as she used to be; the cheerful girl who’s always smiling even though she’s going through hard times. She won’t even open up to Tifa about her life in SOLDIER. Tifa was kinda hurt by that, but she decided not to pry her from answers.

After Sephiroth went crazy and everything, Dani found him and fought him, but lost and end up having a scar on the left shoulder blade made by Sephiroth. Dani was knocked unconscious by Sephiroth’s brute force. Hojo found Dani, and decided to experiment on her. During the time Hojo experiment on her, she was already in a coma.

A few weeks later, a group from an unknown guild sneaked into SOLDIER to steal something. During there, a person from the group happens to enter the room Dani is being kept in because he didn’t want to get caught. Without thinking, that person took Dani out of the tank and stole some clothes to on her. The guild successfully sis what they came for, and sneak out.

When she awoke from her slumber, she has already lost her memories because of the mako poison that’s keeping her in the tank. The guild was cautious of Dani because of her identity. But when Dani prove to them that she has lost her memories, they warm up to her, some pity her. They decided to let her stay at their guild.

Since Dani was nowhere to be found in SOLDIER building, they assume Dani has gone rogue, in result, becoming an Ex-SOLDIER.

So, during her time as an Ex-SOLDIER, she has joined a guild and has been traveling around, taking missions when they are available.

At age 19, she finally regained her memories, but decided to stay in the guild. She was happy there. A few years later, at the age 21, she return to Midgar. The first place she decided to visit was Zack’s grave. Thanks to the media, Dani was notified about Zack’s death. And thanks to Tifa, Dani was notified about Aerith’s death as well.

Tifa was the first person she called. Tifa was surprise, surprise to hear her voice again as tears is daring to drop. Dani apologize to Tifa, telling her that she’s sorry and shouldn’t have left. Dani was feeling vulnerable in the inside and feels the need to let out her feelings. So, she wanted to see a familiar face, she wanted to see Tifa. Tifa was glad that Dani wanted to see her.

Dani choose Tifa instead of Cloud is because she doesn’t want him to see her show her vulnerability. Tifa end up spending time with Dani. Dani need to let out her feelings, and so, she told Tifa everything. Tifa and Dani sit on a bench. The two have a conversation until Dani felt tired, and lay her head on Tifa’s shoulder. Tifa smile sadly, sad to see her so vulnerable. After that, Dani promise to Tifa that she’ll keep contact.

A year later, Dani has just finished her mission at a village called Calm Land. Halfway outside of Midgar, Tifa calls.