Chapter 14: Proms and Planes

DING, DING, DING!

The sound was on a never-ending repeat as I reached out my hand to press the snooze button. It had been four days since I bought my dress. Yes I know, it was late considering today's the school dance.

"No, Sam! You've had enough sleeping time!" Kayla shouted, shaking me. "Get up, it's the dance today!"

I spread my arms and yawned, rubbing my eyes. I slowly crawled out of bed and into the bathroom. I had a long shower, brushed my teeth, applied a face mask and moisturized my arms and legs. I ironed mine and Kayla's dresses, leaving hers in her bed while she did the same bathroom routine as me.

I took off my face mask and my face looked and felt so smooth. We went downstairs to eat breakfast, and after that, I put on my dress and asked Kayla to zip up the back for me. I slipped the shoes on and brushed my hair, braiding my fringe back. After hours of perfecting my make-up, hair and dress, I put my Mom's ring on my right hand.

I heard a knock at the door and saw that it was Matt. His jaw dropped to the ground instantly and his eyes were wide open.

"Woah, Sam, you look, just," He looked lost for words, then smiled. "Beautiful."

He was wearing a red tie, that was the exact same colour as my dress and was holding a see-through box with a scarlet red corsage in it. Aw, he is so adorable! He gave me the corsage and personally put it on my wrist. I complemented his tie and he shot me a thousand complements on my hair, make-up, dress and beauty.

Later, he escorted me to the not-so-romantic school coach which drove us all to the hall where our prom was taking place. I stepped out of the coach, with Matt by my side. Smiling, we walked into the big hall. Music blasted out through the echoing hall. There were long, velvet drapes covering two of the walls, and a stage with a microphone on it. Above the stage was a projecter and a board facing it. For the meantime, the projecter had the words 'Drenterson Boarding School Annual Starting Dance'. The ground was wooden and the wall colour was gold. There were two long, rectangular tables full of drinks and snacks. They were both opposite each other and were in front of the drapes.

Matt looked at me and smiled.

"May I?" He held out his hand and waited for me to hold it. I smirked and held his hand, and we started dancing. Tom and Kayla walked in. Wow, she looked really pretty. They were holding hands and when Kayla caught my eye, she walked over to us.

"Sam! Oh my gosh, you look amazing!" She guestured to my dress, face and hair. A wide smile spread across my face.

"Thank you! So do you!" I spoke over the loud music. We all had some punch, danced and talked together. While dancing to the quick, upbeat song, it suddenly was stopped and replaced by a slow, romantic song.

"Grab your dates and slow dance!" Ms. Trall shouted from the stage. I turned to Matt at the same time he turned to me and we smiled. He put his left hand on my shoulder and his right hand on my waist. I put both my hands on his shoulder and at the same time, we both took a step forward, making us a magazine apart. The song began and he took a step backwards, whilst I took one forward. I took a step backwards and he took one forwards.

We danced perfectly, not aware of what was happening around us. As the last note hit, he spun me around and dipped me down. Our eyes locked and we were so close that we could hear each other's heart beats.

I didn't see Ryan here, I then realised. He must've stayed in his room. I went over to get another glass of punch for all of us. We drank it as the sky became darker and darker.

When we came to school, I got into my pyjamas and went straight to sleep. London was in less than a week, and I needed all the beauty sleep I could get to look half decent in England.

The next few days were normal. Eat, sleep, talk.

And before I knew it, it was the day before we were going to London. I hadn't taken Mom's ring off, unless I was showering. I brushed my teeth and hair, then went to eat breakfast. In between my breakfast, Kayla came and sat beside me.

We finished our breakfast and went upstairs to pack our luggage. Kayla had a light pink suitcase and I had a hot pink one. Yes, we were ultra girly. We put in all our clothes, shoes, passport and other things. It turns out that we were staying in a hotel that my cousin, Jasmine lives right beside.

Ooh, I haven't seen her in years! I can't wait! She's my Mom's sister, Danielle's, daughter. People say that we look alike, but I just don't see it. Anyway, the rest of the day was normal. I had to go to sleep early today, since our flight was at eight in the morning.

***

DING DING DING!

Again, the frustrating noise hit my sore ears at five in the morning. I rolled over a little and feel onto the hard floor. Oof! I jumped up and got changed into my clothes.

I quickly brushed my teeth and ran downstairs to eat. Grabbing a bowl of cereal, I gulped down the creamy milk and chewed the crunchy, little pieces as fast as I could. Finished, I ran back upstairs to make sure I had everything packed. Clutching onto our luggage, we made our way into the school coach and to the airport.

About an hour later, we were there and got everything sorted.

The food wasn't the best, but it was alright. We had a choice of salmon with chips, or sausages and mash. Mash potatoes weren't really my favourite, but I loved sausages. Salmon really wasn't my favourite, but French fries were the best. So, like the caring boyfriend Matt was, he got salmon and chips and I got mash and sausage. He agreed to give me the chips and I'll give him the mash.

Finishing our food, we watched a couple of movies and fell to sleep after having a nice cup of tea.

***

"Wake up! I'm so bored!" I heard a female voice say. "Come on, open your eyes, Sam!" I turned to the source of the voice and found Kayla. The whole plane was dark and everybody apart from us were sleeping.

"What?" I sharply asked, followed by a yawn.

"I can't sleep and I'm bored and I've watched all of the movies. We're not allowed on our phones, you were all asleep, what am I meant to do?" Kayla tugged my arm, stopping me from falling back into my sleep.

"What am I meant to do?" I stretched my arms and legs.

"I don't know..." She gave me her irresistibly cute puppy dog face.

"Fine! Watch a really boring movie again and I guarantee that you'll fall asleep." I turned over as she put on an old foreign drama. I closed my eyes and fell back to sleep.

"Sam, wake up! Breakfast is here!" Matt woke me up, as he pointed to a flight attendant with a trolley full of food and drinks. Eventually, I got up and chose some toast, tea and biscuits. I ate it all and took a quick trip to the bathroom.

When I came back, I took my seat and chatted to them for the rest of the flight.

We got alerts that we were nearly there and finally landed. As we took a step out of the plane, a smile was plastered on every one of our faces.

Hello, London.