Chapter 4: Mind Games

Mom. My real Mom. I couldn't breathe. I was too shocked and puzzled, yet so amazed and happy. Tears filled my eyes and they rolled down my shivering cheek.

"Mom." I collapsed onto the ground and couldn't breath. I only remember brief things from the next hour. Ambulance vans. Mom smiling at me, warmly. Laying on a hospital bed and Mom holding my hand, wishing me the best.

I opened my eyes. Mom was sitting in the corner of the hospital room, on a small chair. Once she realised I was awake, she dragged her lifeless body towards me.

"H-how are you here?" I shakily asked. My Mom died two years ago, when I was seventeen.

"I'm not, honey." She smiled lovingly.

"W-what do you mean you're not?" I asked, frowning.

"I'm in your imagination." She stroked my hair.

After a long while to take it all in, I mumbled, "There's a lot to catch up on." I told her.

"I know what's up. I'm a part of your brain, Sam! Why do you want to go to this boarding school anyway?"

"I just wanted to get away from Rosa. Gosh, she's so annoying and evil." Mum, well, my imagination, looked at me.

"You shouldn't think like that, Sam."

I waited a while before answering, "I know."

"Remember your true self. Don't pretend for too long."

"But, Mom-" She was gone. Or I just stopped imagining.

A nurse burst in and looked at me, puzzled.

"Who were you talking to?" She asked me.

"I was...on the phone. I hung up now."

"Oh, okay," She smiled at me. "You should be good to go. You just fell and lost your consciousness. There's another guy waiting for you. He told me his name was...Tom, is it?"

I smirked and slowly got up.

"Er, yeah. So, I'll get going. Thank you for the hospitality, ma'am." I left the hospital and went into Tom's car. I told him that my mother's died and how I imagined her.

Once we arrived at school again, I took a quick nap.

"Sam, wake up. Sam! SAM!" I heard Matt yell as he attempted to wake me up. I opened my tired eyes and yawned loudly.

"What?" I growled.

"Does this outfit look alright?" He signalled his hands towards his body.

He sported a light blue, buttoned shirt with the sleeves rolled up. There were small anchors all over the shirt and the collar was pinned down with buttons. He was wearing dark blue, skinny jeans and his dark hair was messy.

"Yeah, you look okay." I jumped up from the bed to brush my hair.

"Thanks. I'm going on the date with Selena."

After he went, I read my book for a while. I must've fallen asleep at that moment because I woke up with my face buried in a book. Why was I always so sleepy in this boarding school?

***

Anyway, the next morning, Matt and Tom were both asleep. I laid in bed for a while. I played some games on my phone and Tom and Matt woke up soon enough. We all went down to eat breakfast, which was a fry-up.

I rushed to the bathroom with my diary and pen and sat on the toilet seat. I scribbled down what just happened. That's when I realised that I really needed to pee. So I did and left my diary on the towel rack. I flushed and washed my hands when I heard Tom calling me. I rushed out the bathroom and scanned the room for him.

"Where are you?" I yelled.

"Who? Tom?" Matt asked me, clutching onto a thick book.
"Yeah. Where is he?"

"In the bathroom. He needed to pee, so when you got out, he sneaked behind you." Matt explained, not looking up from his book. Oh no. No no no. My diary! Please don't see it, please don't see it, please don't see it, I thought as Tom flushed.

"Ooh!" Tom said.

He saw it.

I banged on the door, but it was no use. I started yelling for him to open the door, but it was useless aswell. "Oh, Matt, you've got to read this!"

"Fine, what is it? I'm sure it'll be way better than this waste of paper." He looked down at his book and then at the bathroom.

"It's called Sam's diary." Tom evily chuckled as he quickly pushed the door open a little to let Matt in, but I was too slow to go through it afterwards.

After a silent ten minutes, if you don't include gasps and whispering, they opened the door with their eyes wide open. Stupid goddamn diary!

"Hey, Samantha Johnson." Tom muttered, his eyes wide open.

"I seriously can't believe that he's a girl!" Matt mumbled.