Chapter 1: Starting Sam's Story

WARNING FROM THE AUTHOR: So, I wrote this book like years ago, when I was around 11. Literally. Looking back, it is so cringy and makes no sense at all. Read at your own risk.

-

"Sam, it's time for dinner!" My step-mom called me from downstairs.

My real mom died three and a half years ago, so my Dad remarried a woman, Rosa, almost half his age. My step-mom is constantly acting so sickeningly nice to me around my Dad but she barely smiles at me when he's not there. Total Cinderella situation.

She has everything she asks for from him. Bags, makeup, jewellery, everything. And everything I get, I have to beg for it. It just wasn't fair. I must sound like a total brat right now but whatever. I tied up my brown hair and went downstairs to eat.

I picked at my chicken with my fork. I looked up to see that Rosa was smiling that fake smile of hers at me. She had a deep red lipstick smeared on her lips. She looked excited, ready-to-burst. I looked at Dad. He had a smile on his face too and he was also looking at me.

"Okay, what's going on?" I asked, curious and anxious to know. I glared at Dad, hoping he'd spill the beans. Instead, Rosa gave a small cough to attract my attention. My eyes met hers as she slid something to me on the dinner table.

I stared at what she slid to me. I knew this was going to happen. It was a brochure. For some stupid university.

"No." I said, my eyes darting to and from Dad and Rosa's faces.

"Oh, come on, Sam, it'll be perfect," Rosa told me, her grey eyes piercing into mine. She gave my Dad a quick wink after saying, "and it'll give me and your father a little alone time."

He leaned in and kissed her. Ugh, internally vomiting here.

"Yeah, honey, it'll give you a chance to start over and make friends after, y'know, what happened."

What happened was depression after my mom's death. And some even spread rumours that I was mentally unstable. That's what made my first ever (and only) boyfriend break up with me. And I lost most of my friends. The past year had been hell. No friends. No happiness. No support.

So that's me. Samantha Johnson. Girl. 20. Brunette. Brown-eyed. Scrawny. Not so clever. Talentless. A loner. Kinda insane.

I put away my food and went back upstairs. I had the brochure in my hand. Should I even consider applying for a space there? I guess those few pieces of paper could get me a brand new start in life. I made my decision and got an application for Drenterson University. I began to fill it in. Name? Easy. Sam Johnson. Gender? Easier. I crossed the word 'girl.'

I finished it in half an hour and posted it to the address given on the brochure. Now, all I had to do was wait for the acceptance/rejection letter.

A week later, I heard something come through the mailbox. We hardly ever get mail. That's how I knew that was it. I ran to the door and picked up the (luckily) thick envelope from the ground and tore it open with hope. It read:

Dear Mr Johnson,

Your application has been accepted and you have earned the last place in Drenterson Boarding School. On Saturday 17th August, you must attend the school at 10am. You must bring your clothes, passport and close belongings as your roommate/s and room will be assigned, in your case, to the male dorm.

The starting day of the term will be on Monday 2nd September. Until then, we will be holding our annual school dance, our trip to England and have plenty of time to get to know each other.