Chapter 21: A Sky Full of Stars

My next class was Photography and I have to say, it was probably the best class of the day. We had a cool teacher and I really liked the subject in general.

The only thing was that none of my close friends were in it but it was okay because I made a couple of new friends.

My next period after that was free, so I went up to my room and thought I should read a book for a while. As my hand dug through my bag, I clutched the book, but when I took it out I saw it was my journal.

Oh, that journal.

Instead of reading my book, I got out the journal. I ripped out the previous pages, got a pen and took a deep breath. I wrote:

"Sam, it's time for dinner!" My step-mom called me from downstairs.

And from then, I wrote and I wrote. I wrote about my friends, some who came and went, and those people who were more than friends. I wrote about my memories and when I was so happy but I didn't miss out when I felt low.

But it wasn't panicked sentences, like before, that barely made sense; it was a story. It was my story, no matter how crazy and silly it may sound.

***

I scruffed up my hair and threw on a choker and a big jumper. It was September and it was starting to get slightly colder.

Matt's knocks sounded happy. I mean, it's weird that you can sense feelings through a noise on a door but you know what I mean.

I went to open it and he was stood there smiling.

"You look adorable," He booped my nose.

"So, where do we go?" I asked him, glancing at the clock, which was a few minutes before eight.

"To the north library(...?)" He told me, worryingly unsure.

I hesitatingly left the room and followed him down to where he told me the club were meeting.

Empty, besides the staff.

Well, it was either a very disappointing club or we were in the wrong place.

I looked over at Matt, who was guiltily grinning, "Um, oops."

We then went to the south library and there they were. They as in Matt's math teacher, an astrology teacher, this plump girl with glasses and a boy with braces. Well I see it's not the most popular club.

When we stumbled into the room, six minutes late, they all glared at us.

"Ar-are you here for the stargazing club?" The astrology teacher, Ms Shelley asked us.

"Um, yeah," Matt replied, "Sorry, we're late."

The math teacher, Mr Ford cleared his throat sternly, "Sign in on that sheet over there and then join us," He instructed, sounding worryingly like Professor Snape despite being, like, twenty years younger.

We wrote our names on the piece of paper in the middle of the table. It was kinda sad that they had given space to write up to thirty names yet only four were filled in.

After droning on about how it's not just staring at 'little sparkles in the sky' (even though that's exactly what the name suggests) Mr Ford took us outside. The area of the university wasn't really polluted so you could see the stars much easier.

We went to the area in campus where people would usually sit on the grass to have lunch or whatever. The teachers brought a couple of scientific handheld telescopes but the boy with the braces and the girl with the glasses were hogging them. Sigh.

The September wind was blowing, making my hair even messier.

"So," Mr Ford spoke in a monotone voice, "Some famously known star constellations include..."

And I might be able to name them if I hadn't been daydreaming at Matt. He looked so perfect in that moment. Yes, his shirt was a little big for him, yes, he had a few bruises and cuts on his face from the fight with Dylan, but still, he was easily the most beautiful person I've ever seen. His personality was seeping through his eyes; his kindness, how caring he is, his humor, his wittiness, all showed in the moonlight.

"You do know that it's obvious that you're staring at me," Matt chuckled, not in a cocky way, but in a sweet understanding kind of way.

Mr Ford finished speaking and said that we could spread out a little to fully concentrate on the stars. And Matt and
I did that by lying on our backs beside each other. There was a picnic-y blanket for us all but we decided to lie on the dirty, slightly damp grass for no reason at all.

I sighed, "It's so weird how a bunch of dots can look so beautiful,"

"In the same way that a two eyes, a nose and a mouth can." He replied. Even though we were both staring at the sky, I felt more connected than ever. Our hands were touching but they weren't holding and I liked it like that.

"And it's also so strange how the mere touching of lips can induce so many feelings." I said, in an unintentional whisper.

He let out a mumble of agreement and we laid there in peaceful silence for a minute.

"Sam, do you think we'll still be together in ten years?"

"If I didn't, then I wouldn't be with you." I replied, after a short hesitation. "Do you think so?"

He turned his head to me and whispered, "I love you, Sam."

I smiled softly, looking back at him.

"I love you too, Matt."

"I mean, there's something about you that calms me, that makes me laugh, makes me grateful, makes me smile," He told me.

"Promise something to me," I said, looking into his eyes. "Promise that, in ten years' time, we will see each other, whether it's as friends, as a couple, as practical strangers, anything."

"I promise," He smiled, "But I don't think that matters. I think that, if we aren't together of course, we will cross paths, and it won't rely on a pact."

"Well, I guess we'll see," And I gave a little grin.

My shoes dug into the grassy soil and our cold fingers interlocked.

I was happy.

THE END