Chapter 5: Ruby's Ring

• Dedicated to Nina Dobrev

For the next hour and a half, I thoroughly explained to them why they can't tell and shouldn't tell.

"I bet you're hot as a girl." Tom burst out, then instantly covered his mouth with his hand. Matt was also just staring at me. I blushed and turned as red as a tomato. Tom added, "Sorry."

"Erm, it's alright." I lied. Clearly, it was not okay. I'm not sure why, but it just wasn't.

As the night came, I prayed that they wouldn't tell anyone about this situation. When the light went out, they kept asking me stupid questions.

"Are you fully a male or is it just clothes and hair?"

"I have not had any form of surgery, Tom."

"Are you, uh, straight or not?"

"Shut up, Matt."

"So...?" Matt asked.

"I'm straight, now go to sleep."

"I still don't get why you did it." Tom muttered.

"Okay. Go to sleep." I groaned.

They whispered amongst themselves as I finally went to sleep.

***

The next morning, I remembered that the boys had read my diary and took in a sharp breath. I narrowed my brown eyes at the two boys.

"If you tell anybody my gender secret, I will seriously rip your guts out. If you even have any. I will scrape your eyeballs out and cut up your tongue into tiny pieces and feed it to my dog! Well, I don't have a dog, but you get the point. Don't tell anyone!" I growled at the innocent looking boys. Oh, but they were far from innocent, for reading someone's diary.

I scurried through my bag for my hairbrush. That's when my hand met a round, metal object. I picked it up, to see that it was an expensive ring. I squinted at it, realising that it was so beautiful. Gold patterns circling a ruby diamond and twinkling in the sun. It was easily the most beautiful ring I have ever seen.

"What's that?" Tom walked up to me and looked at it. "Oh, a ring. Is it yours?"

"No, I just found it in my bag." I looked closely at it.

Carved into the gold, I found a few words. To my dearest Ruby. "It's my Mom's. What's it doing here?" I clutched onto the ring.

"You okay?" Tom asked, and I nodded quickly. I shoved it back into my bag and did my daily wash, dress, breakfast routine. Today, there was tea and biscuits. Oh, how British!

I sprinted upstairs to my room. Gosh, that was a tasty cup of tea. I leaped onto the bed and, for some reason, it was way more comfy than usual. My eyes automatically closed and, for a good three, four hours, I fell into a relaxing sleep and had a nice dream.

I woke up and saw that it was lunch. In a great mood, I skipped down the stairs. To my surprise, I found that they were serving my favourite meal of all time. Even better than lasagne. Macaroni cheese and gravy. I licked my lips before I took a huge mouthful of macaroni. It was so much better that I didn't have to care about table manners or any manners, actually.

I finished eating and jogged along to the gym room for the second time. After that, I went back to my room and rested while drinking a can of Pepsi.

That was relaxing! So far, this day has been perfect. Tom walked into the room and came up to me.

"Woah, Sam, look what I found. It's your Mom's ring." He held up my mother's ring. I snatched it off him.

"Where did you find it?" I asked him, furrowing my brows.

"Selena Rivers' hand." He told me. I widened my eyes and raised my eyebrows. What? Why? When? Huh...?

"What? Ugh!" I stormed out the room angrily and buckled, causing me to fall. What an end to my amazing day, I thought sarcastically. I jumped back up, flattened my shirt and burst into the girls dorm. Matt told me that her room number was G2 13, so I knocked loudly on their door.

A girl opened the door. She had long, curly brown hair and big, brown eyes. She smiled at me with her rosy red lips.

"Hey, I'm Mikayla Summers, but everybody calls me Kayla. And you are?" She asked me perkily.

"Sam. Is Selena here?" I poked my head in and looked around. She was laying on the bed, listening to her iPod. When she saw me, she smiled and waved. What the-?

"Can I talk to her?" I told Kayla.

"Course!" Her perkiness made me cringe. She skipped out of the room and down the stairs. I shut the door behind me as I stepped in. I focused my eyes on Selena. She seemed confused and guiltly at the same time. Who can do that?!

"Confess. Why did you take it?" I demanded.

"Take what?" She replied, looking puzzled.

"Don't act dumb, you took my mom's ring!"

"What?! No I didn't!" She claimed. She looked down at my hand and saw the ruby ring. I groaned.

"Well, it was on your hand!"

"That ring? Oh, Matt gave me it." She softly smiled.

"Matt?! Ugh!" I stomped out the room and found Matt in the gym. He bit his lower lip and looked really guilty. He gulped and scratched the back of his neck.

"Why did you take it, potato brain?" I waited for a response. After five minutes of heavy breathing and sweat trickling, he spoke up.

"Well...it turns out that Selena celebrates crap like one week anniversaries, and I played along that I did as well. She got me a present and I didn't, but I couldn't tell her that, so I went through your bag and found the first girl thing that I found. Selena loved it and gave me a massive hug and a kiss. Sorry." He blurted out in one breath. I was fuming angry, but still forgave him.

"Ugh, it's alright, but never take things from my bag."

"Fine- wait! Only if you help me get Selena a present."

I thought for a while, then nodded.

"Deal?" I smirked as I held out my hand.

"Deal." He grinned and shook my awaiting hand.

***

That afternoon, I went to have dinner. I remembered that I had something to ask the boys. After I finished eating, I went back to my room.

Matt was sitting on his bed on his phone.

"So, Matt, I'm assuming you haven't told anyone about you-know-what yet?" I asked him.

He looked up at me. "No." He told me. He looked up and to the left briefly.

"You're lying."

"No I'm not." Again, he looked up and to the left.

"Who did you tell?"

"No, I haven't told anyone." He rubbed his eyes, another sign of lying.

I began approaching him, "Who. Did. You. Tell?" I growled.

"Okay, fine!" He gave in. "I may have let it slip to Selena, when she was shouting at me for shopping with Kayla, and honestly it made it worse, but oh well."