Chapter 6: Present Poaching

"Ooh! How about that? God, she'll love that to bits! And that's cute, too! Look there! The other day she said that she likes that! I can't blame her, it's so pretty!" Kayla squealed. Gosh, everything that girl says comes out as a squeak.

"Remind me again why we got her?" Matt groaned, glaring at Kayla.

"Because she knows what Selena likes and dislikes way more than we do. And she's fashionable and knows Selena's size. So, basically, she's the perfect person to shop with."

In unison, we turned our heads to her. She was jumping about and squealing.

"Really? Best person to go shopping with?" Matt cocked his right eyebrow and chuckled.

"Huh? What'd you guys say?" She smiled and skipped over to us.

"Thanks for coming, you've been really, um, helpful." Matt claimed, but didn't look like he agreed with what he just said.

"It's been my pleasure! Oh gosh, isn't shopping fun!"

At the end of the day, we bought Selena a handbag and a pair of designer heels. With that, we went back to the school and Matt gave it to Selena.

He came back to our room, looking excited. He smirked as he sat down on his bed.

"Thanks for coming, Sam and Kayla."

"It's alright." I smiled.

"Like I said, it's my pleasure!" Kayla squealed and smiled from ear to ear. "So, have you got your outfits for the dance?"

"Oh yeah...no. I haven't." Matt told her.

"Oh, okay. How about you, Sam?" Kayla asked, looking at me.

"Nah, not yet." I told her.

"Oh, why don't you two come shopping with me?" Kayla enthusiastically suggested.

"Ugh!" Matt rolled his eyes at me and ran his fingers through his hair. "Fine, fine. But no squealing, jumping or squeaking."

The next day, we went to the mall to buy tuxedos with Kayla, who had already bought her dress. We bought a black and white one with a bow tie for ourselves and Tom. After an hour and a half, we were done and were on our way back.

TOM'S POINT OF VIEW

I walked down the hall, on my way to the gym, when I heard a familiar female voice shouting after me.

"Tom! Hey, Tom!" I spun my head around and saw Selena running behind me.

"Hey Selena. What's up?" I asked her.

"Where's Matt? I've been looking everywhere."

"Oh, he's at the mall with Sam and Kayla." I told her.

She raised her eyebrows and slightly opened her mouth.

"With Sam and Kayla?" She asked, saying Kayla's name as if they were her arch enemies.

"Yeah, so?"

"It's just...he didn't tell me that he's going shopping. With a girl aswell."

"Yeah, so? He went yesterday as well." I furrowed my eyebrows. Why did she care so much? "Kay, bye, Selena. I need to go to the gym now."

"Wait, is there anything else that Matt did?"

"Uh? I don't think so. Bye." I waved and walked to the gym.

"Oh, okay. Bye." She waved back and went back to her room.

After working out for a couple of hours, I returned to my room, to see Matt, Kayla and Sam.

"Hey, dude. We got you a tux." Matt told me, handing me a tuxedo.

"Thanks, man." I replied, taking it and putting it in my closet. Selena burst in and put her hand on her hip.

"Matt, we need to talk. Like, now." She demanded.

"Huh? Okay, then." He walked out the room with Selena.

For ten minutes, we were waiting in silence. Finally, they both came back in; Matt looking sad and Selena looking disappointed. Oh, they broke up, didn't they? Selena went back to her room, followed by Kayla. Matt told us how she dumped him.

"She got jealous 'cause I went to the mall with Kayla. To be honest, Selena's not even worth it." Matt explained to us. That was weird. A couple of hours ago, he was lovesick for her. But now he was completely over her.

The next day, as I was on my way to breakfast, Selena ran towards me.

"Hey, Tom. I just wanna say thanks for telling me that Matt went to the mall with Kayla. I totally appreciated it. And, I know that it's a minor problem, but you see, I'm really insecure." She smiled and gave me a hug.

"Er...you're welcome." I responded. This was seriously weird and a bit awkward. I had this little feeling that she liked me. I mean, she was alright and really pretty too, but I do not like her that way. And plus, it'll be totally uncool for me to go out with her, considering she was Matt's ex. And also, I think I might be gaining feelings for somebody else...

I was having a bowl of cereal as Sam sat down beside me. For some reason, I got this strange feeling in my stomach. And no, it wasn't food poisoning.

"Uh, Sam," I nervously whispered. I wasn't one to conceal feelings for very long.

"Yeah?" She said taking a bite of her toast casually.

"Ilikeyoumorethanafriend." I confessed in one breath. Luckily, she understood what I said so I didn't have to repeat it.

"Oh," I could sense she was blushing. "Thanks."

Great. Just the response I wanted, I thought as I finished up the cereal.

"No, I mean, I, uh, like you that way too," She looked down at her plate.

I grinned as she left the table, leaving me in awe of her cuteness.

I was about to go in the room, when I heard Matt and Sam talking.

"So, you're taking this whole breakup thing really lightly." Sam said to Matt.

"Well, I have nothing to be sad about, do I? She just got jealous of Kayla. Which was pretty stupid." He responded.

I walked in. That's when Sam's phone beeped. Her eyes widened in shock. What happened?