LIII. Sigh No More

Start from the beginning

“Well… Uh, me n’ Sunny… well, we don’t flirt since we’re brothers, but we do uh… talk—er, banter? I think is the right word. Whatever. Anyways, we do that, but it’s a mixture between through the spark and the comm. link or whatever,” he replied, using his hands to make random gestures for emphasis, which, oddly enough, were rather human. “But, uh, then I guess we just do what we did before the bond was, um, blocked… Er, to be honest, no one really knows. Mates don’t really talk about what they do and it wasn’t written down or whatever.”

“Huh. Well, that kind of sucks, but I guess that gives us free reign to do whatever. Granted, the fact I’m human and you’re Cybertronian already kind of makes that a given,” she laughed again, and he grinned back. “Man, I have yet to tell anyone. I bet they’re all going to flip! How many Autobots know, by the way?”

“Well, Ratchet, obviously, and I think he’s the only one, but the others will know soon enough.”

“Assuming you haven’t boasted about it yet.”

He feigned being hurt, “Ugh, I’m insulted! Have you no faith? But, no, I haven’t. Still, they’ll figure it out, and I doubt they’ll think much of it. Well, some might find it weird, but they can shove it up their afts if they have a problem. Same for the human people.”

“We should make it a kind of surprise when they do. Or, well, as shocking as possible for the situation. Like, don’t tell them, but let them figure out and ask and then we say it with straight faces or something,” she grinned mischievously, and the expression was soon shared on his faceplate.

“I like it! Sounds like a plan,” he mused. “First we gotta get to base, though.”

“Yes. That we do.” 

And twenty minutes later—after getting everything together, putting it into Sideswipe’s trunk, and saying good-bye to her adoptive mother and sister—they left for Diego Garcia.

 -------------------------------------------------------------

-O-

------------------------------------------------------------- 

The ride was similar to the first one she had taken, the only difference being that Lennox wasn’t there to give her the quick rundown of things. The seats were a tad uncomfortable, and Sideswipe was stowed in the cargo bay, while she was in the passenger section. There were one or two other soldiers, but they were spread out amongst the seats and hadn’t spoken more than the customary “hello” or nod or salute. She didn’t mind it so much, although conversation would have done well to keep her mind off the flurry of worries that continued to confront her consciousness.

Despite Sideswipe’s reassurance, she was still concerned about how everyone would receive her. She knew she probably shouldn’t care—and, certainly, a part of her didn’t—but she couldn’t help herself. She had left them abruptly for two solid months and hadn’t contacted them at all until just weeks ago. Someone was bound to be mad or—or something. Yes, it was a silly thought, but it still invaded her mind constantly and made a cold sweat trickle down her brow. She at least knew some people would be happy to see her—Lennox, obviously, and no doubt her team, and even many of the Autobots. Still. She worried.

She jolted only a little when the aircraft started its turnabout for the landing. She closed her eyes to calm down and waited patiently for the jolt at the end. It came nice and easy for once, and it wasn’t long before they were given the okay to depart. She did so quickly and then hurried back towards the cargo where Sideswipe was already rolling down. He transformed and stretched his limbs, happy to be free, and then looked down at her with a comforting grin. She tried to return it, but she doubted she was very convincing although the silver mech acted as though she were. They both nodded at one another and rounded the plane, heading for the base.