But that doesn't change the fact that I would have been that thing's dinner if it didn't. It isn't good to doubt goodwill, even more so when it came from a large bird such as this.

Before I noticed it, the bird's head was moving towards my hand. It was trying to tell me something. So, I willed strength into my right hand, and outstretched my palm to meet with the large bird's long beak.

Naturally, I did not have any plans to crush its skull like the last one. Even if I did, I could feel no power surging within me, unlike a few moments ago. I just calmly waited for the top of its beak to reach my palm, and kept it in the air.

I could feel my strength waning by the second due to fatigue but I had to know what it was doing. I kept myself conscious out of pure willpower. Though I don't know how I did it, my hand finally felt the touch of its beak.

It felt rough, but it was slightly warm. Like the perfect temperature, a comforting warmth. Like snuggling n front of the fireplace on a winter night. It just enticed the temptation of sleep even more. We stayed like this for a few moments until I couldn't take it anymore. My body could not handle such strain, so it shut down by itself, no matter how much I didn't want to. There was nothing I could do..

In the time-frame between me falling to the ground unconscious, I could see a faint smile on the large bird before hearing the words in my head..

{" I have seen the kindness in your heart. 

A human like you is a first for me. I leave this child in your care.."}

A sweet-sounding female voice resounded in my ever-dimming thoughts, and the slight warmth of a mother's love is felt through my skin. The fragrance of calming flames dispersing into the air was the last thing I could remember.

In my dreams, I could see a large, pure white bird clad in flames, take off into the wide sky..

Goodbye, Phoenix-san..

I arbitrarily name the aviary creature in my dreams. Though I will not remember anything when I wake up, I will always have a memory of my savior inside my heart. A majestic being that glides across the skies.

I had learned that selflessness might not be easy, but its worth the effort. In the near future, if it's something I could help with, I will not hesitate anymore..

.......

...............

Was the me in my dreams said, but I clearly remember everything!!

Wasn't that a dream? It was, wasn't it? Then, why can I still remember blurting out those embarrassing lines!?