Ch. 3 - Cali, Baby

Start from the beginning

As I massaged my scalp to clear it of its dirty particles, my head ran a billion thoughts through my brain and I began thinking about everything that’s been going on in my life. My heart clenched as I remembered the days where I was younger, ones where I wasn’t famous yet and ones where I was, but everything was much more simple. I then began to think about my fans, which I hadn’t done in a while, with all the stress I’ve been handling. I didn’t know if they were proud or disappointed in me. It hurts to think they’d doubt me or leave me and I’d do anything to make things right with them once more.

Then there’s the obvious problem that is the media. The thing I don’t like is that I hate their guts, but I have to be the fucking bigger person and brush them off like their actions aren’t affecting me as a person and as an idol. My career is something they want to just step over and smash with every inch of their foot as if I’m some disgusting bug that had crawled into their home.

I’m only 19 and I’ve already accomplished more than they’ll ever accomplish by the time they’re 40. But maybe that’s why they hate me so much. I just don’t understand why. And I don’t know why I’m even letting them get to me. I haven’t been myself in days, and I’m sick of it. First it was because of my break up with Alicia, but the media are adding on to that stress. My heart’s just unstable at the moment and there’s nothing I can do about it. Maybe a break in California is the perfect thing for me right now. At least, no matter how things seem, Scooter really does care about me and he’s noticed my personality change and that I need to reconsider my actions lately.

And then there’s Jackie.

A simple, normal, everyday, average girl who just so happens to be my fan. Even if she was dying inside when she met me, I respect her for the calm demeanor she put up with me and the way she treated me like a normal guy she just bumped into at a hotel. She freaked out for like 3 seconds when she met me, and instantly calmed herself, which I can imagine takes a lot of guts to accomplish. I truly hope yesterday wasn’t the last time I’ll ever see her. And I’m going to make sure that happens since I’ve got her number now.

“Justin, are you in there?” Scooter’s voice snapped me from my thoughts. I stepped out of the shower and dried myself with a towel before wrapping it around my waist.

“Yeah, I’m almost done,” I called back. Picking up a toothbrush, I slid toothpaste across the brush before sticking it to my teeth.

“Alright, don’t take long. We still have to catch that flight,” he reminded me, and I tried to reply but it didn’t come out right because of the toothbrush in my mouth.

“I knoashghs, I’m beiegnaigi ash fasht ash I cagn.”

“What?”

I spat into the bathroom sink, washing my mouth with water before splashing some on my face.

“I said I’m being as fast as I can,” I clarified before rolling my eyes and opening the door, revealing Scooter’s face staring at me in confusion. “’Scuse me,” I maneuvered my way around him and into my room to get properly dressed.

Before I knew it, I was sitting on a van as the crew and I made their way to the airport to catch the plane to California.