26 - Ro

Ro swiveled lazily in the chair.  She looked up at the gooey white orbs stuck to the ceiling that served as lights.  She wondered if she should poke one, but decided against it.

Laura sat on a cot in the corner and tended to Sonya.  The baby hadn't stopped crying for a long time, and Ro thought she didn't remember what silence was.

Eventually (by which the author means a long, long while), Sonya hushed, and Laura placed her gently into her crib.

Laura plopped into the seat next to Ro.  "Ugh."

Ro smirked.  "Tired?"

"You have no idea."

"Go to bed, then," Ro replied.

Laura groaned.  "I can't."

"Why?"

"Because the second I do, Sonya will wake up."

"Well...then, talk to me."

"What do you want to talk about?"

Ro pursed her lips as she tried to find something new and interesting.  "Do you think any of the Lii are cute?"

Laura chuckled.  "Why?  Do you?"

Ro shrugged.  "I guess.  In their own non-human way."

"Which ones?"

"The Neda Fre that danced with me, that guard outside our door on the right, and...uh...."  She blushed.

"Go on," Laura prompted excitedly.

"Losker is kind of cute."

Laura squealed, but stopped abruptly and glanced nervously at Sonya.

"What was that for?" Ro asked defensively.

"What do you mean?  I'm just happy."  Laura bit her lip.  "For you, I mean.  I'm glad you're occupying yourself."

Ro tilted her head.

"It's just...."  Laura sighed.  "I hate the humans right now, because of everything they did after the escape.  But, at the same time, I can't help but be mad at the Lii, no matter how hospitable they're trying to be."

Ro nodded and stayed quiet, thinking.

"But I'm happy for you," Laura said after a moment.  "Have you told him yet?"

"Who?"

"Any of them."

Ro rolled her eyes.  "No.  I was just trying to start a conversation with you."

"But you think they're cute."

"Well, yeah, but I thought Jimmy Jones from eighth grade was cute and I still had no romantic attachment to him."

Laura rolled her eyes.  "Is it because you're different species?"

"What?  No.  Well, we are, but honestly, there's no need to throw a fit about a little crush."

"Ooh, so now it's only one?  Tell me, which lucky bachelor is it?"

Ro slapped her friend playfully, feeling a little red in the cheeks.  "It's a little crush, Laur.  That's all."

"What is crushed?" Losker's voice asked from the doorway.

Laura giggled joyfully.

"Nothing," Ro sighed.  "Laura is sleep deprived.  I think she may also be going crazy."

Laura glared.

"In fact, she may need a straight jacket."

Losker frowned, looking confused.  "I can see what we can do...."