19 - Losker

«Kle.  The birthing of the human child was sucessful» Malasoa started.  «She was born at twenty-seven hours.  The woman is healthy as well.»

«Thank you, Malasoa» Fre Koulor Qor said.  «I will relay the news to the Freix as soon as this meeting is over.»

Losker shifted in his seat, wondering why he was called to this private meeting.  It was only him, Malasoa, and the Fre, and Losker was starting to feel inadequate.

«Doctor Huloe» the Fre said, «it is true that you and the woman Roseanne are close?»

«Kle.  -Close- may not be the word to describe it» he admitted.  «Not anymore, at least.  But during the Laboratory Experiments we spoke often.»

The Fre nodded slowly.  «What does she know about our kind?»

Oh no, this was it.  Losker was going to get sent to prison and shot execution style for disclosing information about Liivat and the Lii.  Wait a moment.  No, that wasn't going to happen.

I really need to stop watching Earth movies.  The most they were going to do was kick him out of civilization and leave his fate in the metaphorical hands of the Muyl.  But then again, that wasn't much better.

«Kle» he said.  «I taught her how to pronounce words in Scrixs.  She knows of the longstanding arguments between the Neda and Galida.  She also knows of how many humans we're keeping on Liivat.»

«And that is all?»

«Kle.  She also knows some of the foods that are toxic and-or deadly to us, our...er...birthing process, the fact that Galida are clumsy and Neda are rude, how to treat higher classes, and anything else she's learned from television.»

The Fre rubbed his brow.  «And why did you tell her this?»

«Kle.  Because she gave me new information about life on Earth.  Did you know of this pastime called -dancing-?  It's most enjoyable, though Galida do not suit it well—»

«Doctor» the Fre said.

«Kle.  My most sincerest apologies.»

«Accepted.  Anything else?  You must tell me everything you told her.»

«Kle.  Sir» Malasoa cut in.

«Yes?»

«Kle.  I....»  She glanced worriedly at Losker.  «I have some information regarding Losker's relationship with Roseanne.»

«Do continue.»

Losker stiffened and waited for Malasoa to speak.  He had an idea of what she was going to say.

«Kle.  Sir, I am in a relationship with Qiem Poy, technician for the English floor on the North America Laboratory.  He told me one night that he witnessed Losker's teayi glow blue, and he said that there could only be one reason for that....  It was later confirmed by Losker that....  Sir, Doctor Huloe is in love with Roseanne.»

It was dead silent in the small conference room.  Losker didn't dare to move as Fre Qor's eyes bored into him.

«Is this true?»

Losker swallowed.  «Kle.  It is.»

«And does she return your emotions?»

«Kle.  No, sir.»

The Fre leaned back in his seat and wound his webbed fingers together.  «I take it you trust her very much.»

«Kle.  Yes, sir.»