18 - Rina

Rina stood as still as a statue and waited patiently for Martha Jane, Gregory, and Kledao. Doc was looking around the Goroea Tower, and would probably still be doing such until he was dragged away. RJ was eating a mysterious alien fruit and Banner sitting against a tree, looking out into the forest.

"You do realize that's mega-creepy, right? You look like a pretty gargoyle." RJ said to Rina. He cut a bit of flesh off of the fruit and ate it. "A pretty gargoyle is a good thing."

"Leave her alone," Banner sighed.

RJ stuck his tongue out, then said, "I think I know what's going on with you two."

"And what would that be?" Banner mused.

RJ pointed to Banner. "You" —he pointed to Rina— "and you are sleeping together."

Rina felt the corners of her lips perk up at this far-fetched accusation. If there was one thing besides his advanced knowledge of technology that RJ was good for, it was his obnoxious, funny remarks.

"I'm afraid you're wrong," Banner replied.

"We just really don't like you," Rina said.

RJ shook his head, discarded his knife, and bit into the fruit. "I'm right, I know I am. Banner's always super defensive whenever I talk to you. I swear, sometimes I think he's going to punch me." He laughed. "Not that that'd do anything. He has no muscle."

"At least he's not scrawny," Rina replied.

"I am not scrawny!" RJ protested. "Just lean."

"You're scrawny," Banner said.

"It's called a runner's body!"

"Have you ever ran in your life before?"

"Yes," RJ verified. "Away from the cops."

Rina smirked.

"So...you're not sleeping together?"

"No, Rudolph, we are not," Banner said.

RJ glanced at Rina and waggled his eyebrows. She narrowed her eyes.

"I know eighteen different ways to kill you with my little toe," she said.

"That's so hot," RJ replied.

Rina groaned internally, taking back what she said before about RJ's obnoxious remarks. For the next three hours, twenty-one minutes, and three seconds, Rina ignored both her fellow leaders and stood at attention, waiting for the other trio to come up the mountain.

"We're here!" Gregory called. "Where are you?"

Banner turned on a flashlight he borrowed from John's survival pack. "Right here."

"Sorry it took us so long," Martha Jane said. "Greg kept drifting away from the group."

"Accidentally," Gregory said. He yanked Kledao forward and pushed him onto the ground. "Here's your alien. Are we going to kill it?"

"Of course we're not," Banner replied. "We still might need him after this."

"Banner," Rina said. "I'd prefer if we did this alone, without bystanders."

Banner nodded. "If you think that would be best. Martha Jane, Gregory, thank you for your help. Go back to camp and ready your things."

"Yessir," Martha Jane saluted. She sprinted back into the trees. Gregory loped disappointedly after her.

"Banner."

"Yes, Rina?"

"You and RJ should stay behind the trees and watch from there. In case anything goes wrong."