Chapter 13, Scene 16

A short rib snapped as Justin struck the tree not too far from where the demon had flung him. He fell to the ground and coughed and wheezed as he tried to realign his thoughts. In less than a second the demon was upon him again, slowly crushing Justin's throat in its grip.

'Hnggg—!'

The demon smashed him into the ground with a force that completely knocked the wind out of him. Justin was on the verge of losing consciousness. He didn't have the strength or will power to fightback. Even if he did, he would be no match against the monster that flung him around as if he weighed nothing at all.

All you need to do is ask.

The demon lifted Justin off the ground with one arm, and again tossed him against a tree. Another blow like that would kill him for sure. Justin realized that the monster would not let up until he had breathed his last breath.

The claw gripped around his throat again and squeezed. His breath was running out. His peripheral vision blurred and then faded to black. He could eventually only see the face of the demon and he knew that it would only be a matter of seconds before that too, would be replaced by darkness.

All you need to do is ask.

'Forgive me...' Justin rasped with what strength and breath he had left. 'Please forgive me, Jesus.'

The demon screamed and dropped Justin to the ground. Justin's lungs burned and his throat felt raw. The beast recovered and reached out to Justin again, but a blinding light made it pause and look back. It only saw a glimpse of the glorious angel before a sword slashed down and dismembered its head clean from its charred body.

The light grew in brilliance until Justin could see nothing but white. The demon's remains fizzled and dissolved in the intense glow and once every trace of the demon was gone, the light faded, and with the light, the rain subsided.

Justin sat against the tree, breathing heavily as he wiped water, blood, and mud from his face. A man hunched down in front of him.

'Are you all right?' the man asked.

Justin swallowed hard and closed his eyes. When he opened them again, the blurred image came into focus. 'Simon...'

'No sudden moves,' Simon said. 'You're banged up pretty bad.'

Justin's head swirled. He coughed up a thin trail of blood. 'Rebecca,' he said. 'She...she's...'

Simon lowered his head. Sadness filled his eyes. 'She's gone,' he confirmed.

Justin's throat was on fire. He couldn't scream. He couldn't shout. He merely shook as he cried. Simon gently placed his hand on Justin's shoulder. There were no words that could heal the hurt in Justin's heart. No thoughts of comfort that would replace the aching void.

'Wait here,' Simon said and stood up. He walked to the wreck where Rebecca lay and knelt down on his knees. Simon looked up at the skies and prayed. 'Lord God; please help me this one last time before I come home.'

Justin strained to keep his eyes open. It felt like he was trapped in a nightmare that he couldn't wake from. His thoughts jumped around a she tried to remain conscious.

For a moment nothing happened. Simon stood up and walked to the car. He took a deep breath and then picked up the wreck as if it was made of mere cardboard and tossed it to one side. He then focused his attention on Rebecca.

Justin figured that he was definitely dreaming. He shook his head and tried to stand up, but a sharp stabbing pain in his chest made him reconsider the thought.

'Rebecca,' Simon said as he knelt down next to her. She was pale and limp, her lips purple. Simon held his hand over her eyes. 'Lord Jesus,' he prayed. 'Please restore your child. Please give them back what Satan stole from them.'

Rebecca's finger twitched slightly. But nothing more happened.

Simon's appearance transformed back from human to angel. As before, pure light emanated from his skin and as his wings unfolded, the light intensified until it completely engulfed Rebecca. For a moment it felt like everything in the universe stood still and focused on the event until—a moment later—the light faded away.

'Rebecca,' Simon said and took his hand from her eyes. 'Wake up.'

Justin crawled toward the spot where Simon hunched over Rebecca.

Rebecca gasped and then slowly opened her eyes.

'Thank you, Holy Spirit,' Simon breathed softly.

'Simon...' she said and swallowed. Simon nodded. She tilted her head and saw Justin. 'My love...'

Justin reached out to her. She reached back and their hands touched. Both cried.

Simon stood up. He took a step back and allowed Justin to embrace his wife. 'The ambulance should be here soon,' he said.

Justin looked up at Simon. 'You're...you've...'

Simon smiled. 'Take good care of your wife and son,' he said. 'It's been an honour to know you.'

Justin didn't know what to say. So many thoughts. So many feelings. So many questions. He merely nodded. 'You too, Simon.'

Lightning flashed.

Simon was gone.

Justin sat upright with Rebecca and embraced her. 'I don't ever want to lose you again,' he said as tears streamed down his cheeks.

Rebecca smiled faintly. 'Neither do I,' she said.

In the distance, the sound of sirens grew gradually louder.