Chapter 11, Scene 3

'This is delicious,' Dominic said as he finished the last of the chicken on the plate. 'Mind if I help myself to some more?'

'Not at all,' Rebecca said, pleased that someone at least enjoyed the fruits of her labour.

'I agree,' Justin said. 'This really is lovely, Becky.'

Rebecca smiled. Too late. No prize for second place, honey.

Tanya said something with her mouth full which no one caught. She swallowed hard and then smiled sheepishly and asked Dominic to pass her the chicken when he was done with it. She also couldn't resist a second helping.

Justin placed his hand on Rebecca's knee and took a deep breath. 'We went to the doctor today,' he announced.

'Really?' Tanya asked. 'And...?'

'Nine weeks and two days,' Rebecca said.

Simon looked up at Rebecca and his heart skipped a beat.

'We'll show you the pictures once we're finished with dinner.'

Simon mouthed the words as she spoke them. The angel's words echoed in his mind. He felt too weak to even lift his fork.

I'm sure that he will make you both very proud.

'Congratulations,' Dominic said. 'I'm sure that he will make you both very proud.'

'Thank you,' Justin said.

Simon's thoughts were racing. 'What makes you so sure it's a boy?' Simon asked.

'Excuse me?' Dominic asked. 'I'm not sure I understand the question.'

'You said 'he' as if you know for a fact that it's going to be a boy. How would you know something like this at only nine weeks?'

Dominic looked at Rebecca, who only rolled her eyes. 'It's just a manner of speaking,' he said with a stifled chuckle. 'I apologize if my choice of words offended you.'

For a long moment Simon only stared at Dominic. 'Would you all please excuse me for a moment?' he asked.

'Sure bud,' Justin said. 'Is there anything you need?'

'Just directions to the bathroom,' Simon said and got up.

'The door right in front of you as you enter the hallway.'

With a quick nod to Justin, Simon went to the bathroom. His hand shook as he closed the door behind him and locked it.

His legs felt weak, and his mind numb. Looking in the mirror he could see that his face was almost completely drained of colour. Was it perhaps the chicken? Something else? He didn't know, but whatever it was; was poison to his system.