Chapter 2, Scene 7

Simon thoroughly enjoyed the movie. After stopping for a quick snack, he headed to the park where he would spend the next few hours reading. Searching for the best spot which has just enough sun and shade, Simon finally found the ideal location to be underneath a huge oak tree. He positioned himself comfortably on the soft grass and opened the novel at the book-marked spot.

'Mary wondered how many of them also came to the sudden—and unmistakably divine—realization that Victor Yoshe was evil,' Simon read aloud, 'and most importantly of all, that Jesus was in fact the Christ.'

Simon smiled. The story was getting interesting. He was about to continue when a soft chirping behind the tree distracted him. Simon closed the book and placed it down on the grass. He stood up and slowly made his way around the base of the huge oak. On the ground, a bird lay in an awkward position next to the tree.

'Hi there, little fellow,' Simon said and slowly took a step closer to the bird. 'Are you all right?'

The bird just chirped softly. It was obvious to Simon that its wing was broken. When he was close enough, Simon extended his hands slowly toward the bird and carefully scooped it up. It was badly wounded, and bleeding from its neck.

'This is bad,' Simon said as he gently stroked the bird's head. He realized that the bird didn't have much longer to live. Cradling the bird in his arms he dropped to a kneeling position and covered it completely with his body.

'Please, Lord,' Simon prayed. 'Please heal this bird. Jesus, don't let her die.' Simon covered the bird for a moment longer and then straightened up again.

He held his breath.

At first nothing happened. Then the bird twitched and then turned its head. The wound in its neck was gone. The bird then shook itself and spread its wings before flying off.

'Thank you, Lord,' Simon said and sighed out loud. He was relieved that his prayer was heard, but why the Creator of the heavens and Earth would listen to him still eluded him. He looked at the bird as it flew off in the distance. 'Thank you...'

Simon got up and stretched. He then walked back around the tree, sat down, and continued reading his book.