Chapter 7, Scene 6

Justin sighed before turning the key in the lock. He was tired and just wanted to go to bed and sleep until the next morning. But he was also married and thus sleep wouldn't come for another six or seven hours. Maybe he could convince Rebecca to join him. Maybe she was just as tired and also needed some rest.

'That stupid bird just bit me,' Rebecca said as he entered the apartment.

Maybe not.

'It went ballistic for some reason and bit me.'

'Hold on,' Justin said and took her hand in his. He raised her hand with her index finger sticking out to about eye level and turned it slowly to estimate the damage. 'This is deep,' he said. 'What happened?'

'I don't know,' Rebecca said and flinched when he pressed the tip of her finger. 'I went out to feed Lotus and he went nuts. When I tried to calm him down by gently stroking him, he bit me.'

Justin walked to the bird cage. The yellow Lovebird—mostly quite docile—flapped its wings aggressively and rammed itself against the side of the cage. Something was definitely bothering the bird. Should they worry about it? Should they take it to the vet? Would the bird eventually tire and return to normal? Justin didn't know what to do in situations like these. He looked back at a terror-struck Rebecca and figured that he would have to attend to the bird's needs later. 'Come,' he said, and taking her hand, gently guided her to the bathroom. 'Let's first get this cleaned up for you.'