Chapter 4, Scene 10

Two months later

'Hey sweetie,' Rebecca said as Justin entered the apartment. He took her in his arms and hugged her tightly. She missed being hugged like this. 'Are you okay?' she asked.

'I'm fine,' he said. 'Come.' He took her hand in his and led her to the door. 'I have something for you.'

'What is it?' Rebecca asked, barely able to contain the excitement in her voice. It had been a long time since he surprised her with anything.

Justin led her to the car and opened the passenger door. 'A little something for you,' he said and took a step back. On the seat was something bulky with a blanket placed over it. 'For when I'm not around to keep you company.'

Rebecca lifted the blanket off the object to reveal a bird cage. 'Oh my,' She said and leaned forward to get a better view of the yellow Lovebird inside. 'It's beautiful, hun.'

Justin smiled. He was relieved that she liked the bird. He panicked on the way home, thinking that she might take the gesture the wrong way. If they lived in a larger apartment, he would have brought her the puppy she always begged him for. 'Its name is Lotus,' he said. 'But you could name him something else if you want to.'

'No,' Rebecca said and stood back so that Justin could pick up the cage for her. 'Lotus is perfect.'

'I'm relieved,' he said. 'Why aren't you dressed?'

'Dressed?' she asked, wondering if she missed something.

'For dinner,' he said. 'I'm taking you out tonight.'