Chapter 13, Scene 9

Rebecca opened the door. Dominic's pleasant smile was a warm contrast to the cold and lonely feeling in her heart.

'I need you,' Dominic said.

Rebecca hesitated, and just stood there, holding on to the door without saying a word. The wind ripped it from her hand, but Dominic grabbed it in mid-swing. He stepped inside and closed the door.

'I can't...do this...' Rebecca said.

Dominic placed his finger over her lips and brought his mouth close to her ear. 'You deserve more, Rebecca,' he whispered. 'You deserve better.'

'Better...' Rebecca repeated. She felt her legs buckle from beneath her, but Dominic's powerful arms kept her from falling to the ground. He picked her up and carried her to the bedroom where he gently lay her down onto the bed.

'Am I dreaming?' Rebecca asked in a daze. Her head was spinning and her breathing felt deep and forced. 'Is this a dream?'

Dominic leaned forward and kissed her passionately. 'This is no dream, my love,' he said. 'Let go of your fears. Free yourself.'

'Free...' Rebecca whispered. Dominic's voice echoed in her mind. Darkness slowly engulfed her vision as she slipped deeper and deeper into Dominic's trance.

'Free yourself from the bondage of marriage. Save yourself from the clutches of Justin.'

'Justin...'

'Let him go.' Dominic brushed her hair gently. 'Let go of Justin and come with me.'

'Let go...'

Rebecca's eyes rolled back into her head. When she spoke, the sound of each word came out hollow and empty.

Dominic kissed her again. 'Come with me and leave all this behind you.'

'Leave...'

'Come with me.'

'Come...'

Rebecca closed her eyes and a moment later opened them again. They were devoid of any sign of emotion or self-control.

'Come,' Dominic said and took her hand. He gently guided her from the bed.' Follow me.'

Sheepishly, Rebecca obeyed.

Lightning flashed outside as the two of them walked hand-in-hand from the room.