Chapter 2, Scene 11

'So how did the interview go?' Rebecca asked Justin when he picked her up from work.

'All right, I guess,' he said. 'A lot better than any of the other interviews I've been on the past few months.'

'Just all right?'

'Well...I know I did well on the technical side of the interview,' he said and paused. 'It's the personal side that bothers me a bit.'

'Like...?'

'Like the fact that I don't have a job at the moment; that I didn't have one for the past five months. What also bothers me is that I've jumped between a few companies the past three years.'

'Some of that jumping had to do with mergers,' she said. 'You had no control over any of that.'

'I know,' Justin said and sighed. 'It just doesn't sound too great in an interview, that's all.'

'But if they take you now, you'll be able to build a solid foundation with them, right?'

He nodded. 'I hope so.'

'And the company itself?' she asked. 'What do you think about it?'

'The company is great. It's a stunning building with a little waterfall and a pond at the back where you can sit during lunch hour. There's a canteen right next to it, for those days when I might need a snack.'

'That's great,' Rebecca said and patted Justin's leg.

'The work sounds like fun. I'll basically be doing workshop, in-house, and onsite support.'

'Huh?' she asked. 'What's that?'

Justin laughed. 'The workshop is where clients send their computers to when the field engineer can't fix it at the premises. In-house technicians would assist the Cybernetics staff, like the receptionist for example, who might have problems with their computers.

'Oh,' she said humouring him. She didn't have a clue what he was talking about, but loved the fact that he was excited about something again. 'What kind of problems?'

'Well...imagine the payroll department not being able to connect to the Internet and pay staff salaries at month end.'

'Aaah,' Rebecca said and nodded. 'And the other one?'

'Onsite is where they send a technician to a customer's site for a week or so where they help out with general support calls or audits.'

'A week?'

Justin knew that it was going to be an issue with Rebecca. They haven't ever been separated since they got married and a week apart would almost be unbearable for her. 'That shouldn't happen too often, love,' he said. 'But at this moment I can't really be picky, right?' He smiled and added. 'Besides, I see it as short-term pain for long-term gain.'

'I guess you're right,' Rebecca said and playfully pretended to sulk. 'But that doesn't mean that I have to like it.' She then looked up as she suddenly remembered something. 'Oh yes, who was that in the car with you this morning?'

Justin pulled his face. 'In the car with me?'

'Yes,' she said. 'When you came back for your file, you drove off with someone sitting next to you.'

Justin laughed. 'I don't know what you're talking about,' he said. 'But there was no one with me. I promise.'

Rebecca just shrugged. Whatever. I know what I saw.

Justin sighed and took her hand in his. 'I don't like the idea of going away every now and again either, Becky, but at least we will now be able to get our lives back on track; especially with the baby on its way.' His plan to change the topic worked like a charm. As soon as he mentioned the baby, her face lit up.

'I saw the nicest little baby clothes today...'

Justin smiled as she talked about the baby clothes and accessories non-stop until they finally reached home.