Chapter One: New Year, Old Faces

>>>Picture of Kang Eunmi (top)<<<

The sun rays seeped it's way through the cracks of the curtains, shining on Eunmi's face. She fluttered her eyes open, groaning loudly since she had to wake up. She sat up, glancing at the mirror, horrified at the sight. "Perfect, I look like a panda." Eunmi mumbled under her breath.

"Miss Kang?" she heard. Eunmi looked towards the door, seeing that her personal maid, Lee Somi, was knocking. "Come in. I'm already awake." Eunmi answered with a husky voice, bring the bed covers over her head, preventing Somi from seeing her.

"Good Morning, Miss Kang. What would you like for breakfast?" Somi asked as a part of her daily job.

"To be honest, I'm not really hungry for anything right now. Just– save me a banana."

"As you wish, Miss Kang." Somi bowed, exiting the room. Eunmi sighed, knowing that the coast was clear to bring the covers, that was basically draped over her head, back down. Eunmi did not want her servants ratting her out for crying so much at night. It's true, the brave, strong, and bold Kang Eunmi cried to herself numerous times at night. For many reasons but, it was mainly because of what her parents said, about her, scarring her ever since she was young.

-

"Good morning, Miss Kang." Every servant and butler greeted as they bowed with respect when Eunmi walking in the room. Once again, it was breakfast with the Kang family and Eunmi did not want to be a part of it. Eunmi nodded in response.

"I'll be leaving first." She replied, not caring for the family tradition.

"Ah! Eunmi-ah. You're up~" she heard a female voice sang.

So close...... Eunmi thought as she was just about to step out of the door. "Mother......." Eunmi greeted, of course, with a fake smile.

"Come, my darling, let us eat!" Mrs. Kang offered while smiling, looping her arm through Eunmi's.

"Actually, I was hoping that I could leave early. You see, I really wanted to catch up with Soojin and the girls so that we could talk about our summer break and–"

"Oh don't give me that." Mrs. Kang interrupted, "It's our tradition. Somi-ah, gather the plates. Let us eat breakfast to our hearts content, like a family"."

"Yes, ma'am"

Hmph.... Family. Yeah right. Eunmi thought.

-

"Seojun-ah" Eunmi called, to her driver.

"Yes, Miss Kang?"

"Please remind Somi to wake me up earlier so that I don't have to eat with my family. I have more important things." Eunmi instructed. Seojun looked at Eunmi through the rear-view mirror. She was gazing out the window, her chin resting in her palm.

"As you wish." He said, pulling into the school property.

As he parked in front of the school, he got out the car, running to Eunmi's side, opening her door. Eunmi smiled faintly as a sign of gratitude. Seojun lent out his hand, Eunmi placing hers in his as he helped her out of the car.