31

"Angel." I look away from my bandaged hand to Zac. The medic bandaged up my hand and the doctor checked up on the baby. According to her the baby is fine, but because my stress levels were so high I'm more likely to experience a premature birth. "I love you."

I giggle. This has to be the tenth time he's said that within this hour alone but I do like to hear it. "Love you too, Zac."

Zac leans in to kiss me and Max cringes. "God, get a room." He says before shoving more popcorn into his mouth. Him and Zac haven't let me out of their sight not that I blame them, I feel safe with them around.

Once the cleaners, as Max calls them, left my house looks the same as if there hadn't just been a break in and attempted murder. "When you get a girlfriend you can understand." Zac tells him, bringing me closer to him.

I took a shower to clean off the blood and sweat. "When you get a girlfriend." Max mimics, throwing more popcorn into his mouth while he watches the film on TV. "I'll have you know that I am seeing someone at the minute."

I arch a brow. "Do tell, who it is Max?"

He taps his nose with a smirk and j huff. "Max is she real?" Zac wonders. Max hums with a nod. "Is she somebody we know?"

Max snorts a laugh and shrugs. "I should think so." He smirks to himself and I'm more interested in his mystery girl.

Before I can open my mouth I hear the front door being opened. I can't help but tense and Zac runs his hand down my back for comfort.

"Lee." Aunty Onika calls. I hear her footsteps while she walks and her and Uncle Derrick appear in the living room. Uncle Derrick raises a brow as his eyes divert from Zac to Max.

Max holds out his hand, his mouth still stuffed with popcorn. "I'm Max, Zac and Lee's friend."

"Why was the front door open?" Uncle Derrick wonders, ignoring Max who awkwardly drops his hand down. I hear Zac chuckle to himself.

"I must've forgotten to lock it after Zac and Max arrived."

"What on earth happened to your hand?" Aunty Onika switches on the main light and I wince from the sudden brightness. She walks over to me and takes ahold of my bandaged hand, her eyes double when she notices my cheek.

"What happened to your-" Aunty Onika narrows her eyes at Zac and I see her fist clench.

"It wasn't him." I tell her before she hits Zac. Aunty Onika looks at me.

"Lee, if he's been hurting you then you shouldn't be protecting him."

"I would never hurt her." Zac says as Uncle Derrick walls over. He glares when he sees my cheek and hand.

"You hit my niece!" He yells at Zac, about to throw a punch but Max holds his arm.

"It wasn't Zac." He says. Uncle Derrick gives him a deadly glare and Max holds up his hands, letting go Uncle Derrick's arm. "Forget I'm even here."

"With pleasure."

"Well if it wasn't Zac then who did this to you?" Aunty Onika frowns, folding her arms over her chest. I don't speak and she arches a brow. "Lee."

"It's a long story." Is all I say.

Uncle Derrick checks his watch before folding his arms as well. "We've got time, I haven't got work tomorrow."

++++

"I knew this would happen." Uncle Derrick continues to rant on from the kitchen. I see Aunty Onika rub her temples. "I knew he'd bring something bad into Lee's life."